Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: KEWR 11/23/14

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69 View Post
    Sorry you feel this way but as you have learned EWR is a airport that you have to treat differently than others.
    I'm amazed the Port Authority and local police uses different security protocol depending which airport under their jurisdiction you happen to be spotting. This inconsistently reflects poorly on the law enforcement and port authorities ability to "patrol and control" their properties with integrity.

Phil: what about a google-hangout where we can brainstorm ways to improve the spotting experience at EWR? I don't want to and don't think any spotters should feel they have to have to "go alone and lay low" when venturing over to EWR to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Gintaras B. View Post
    WTF? Seriously...Are you still drunk after Thanksgiving or on some drugs...asking that?
    No and no and why cant I ask?
    Moose asked and you didn't besmirch or tarnish his fine reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by Gintaras B. View Post
    WTF? Seriously...Are you still drunk after Thanksgiving or on some drugs...asking that?
    And BTW, as that noted sage Curly Howard once said "I resemble that remark"!!!!

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Quote Originally Posted by eric8669 View Post
    the incident Phil is referring to I believe happened almost 10 years ago.
    More than that I think. Art was there too. Right after 9/11. I remember couple of years ago we were asked to leave when AF1 was inbound. Not a big deal the cop was a bit of an idiot but we just went to Inwood. Police there were much nicer.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Yeah, it could have been just under or just over a decade there. Also, the cops were really cool about it compared to the level of aggression typically seen in the EWR area.

Again, if anyone has suggestions on how the wording for the spotting guides should go me let me know.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. View Post
    Yeah, it could have been just under or just over a decade there. Also, the cops were really cool about it compared to the level of aggression typically seen in the EWR area.

Again, if anyone has suggestions on how the wording for the spotting guides should go me let me know.
    I would love to help with the spotting guides. I think I contacted someone a while ago about a spot at EWR that is on [REMOVED BY MODERATOR]. You can email me at nycplanespotting1 (at) gmail (dot) com.
    And for the EWR description, I personally think it should sound a bit more dangerous :P
    Last edited by PhilDernerJr; 2014-11-30 at 12:59 PM.

I agree with an earlier poster that the word "dangerous" is misleading.

Personally, I have no intention of adding ANOTHER location for EWR, with the experiences mentioned in this thread. I was even considering removing the EWR location and replacing it with text that suggests that people don't do it, or that there aren't any public locations that offer low risk of removal by authorities.

Quote Originally Posted by CathayA340 View Post
    Gintaras, that is very true about the media. If more people knew, things would probably get better. But that would probably not even happen. Oh, why don't we have airport watch programs?
    And sorry for being too dramatic as well.
    As the wise old Yoda once said: "Don't think, Do!"

Why don't [you] start an airport watch program? If you sit around waiting for someone to do it, you may have to wait all your life. Maybe you can help the community to get it done!

The program in Florida (MIA) was the result of hard work by the local spotter community there together with a responsive management team at the airport. While we have a very solid and willing community here, the other party has't been so cooperative unfortunately.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. View Post
    I agree with an earlier poster that the word "dangerous" is misleading.

Personally, I have no intention of adding ANOTHER location for EWR, with the experiences mentioned in this thread. I was even considering removing the EWR location and replacing it with text that suggests that people don't do it, or that there aren't any public locations that offer low risk of removal by authorities.
    EWR needs to handled a certain way and that is with asking advice via PM not in a public forum and listening to people that have spotted there. Knowing how to spot and when can lead to a productive spotting session.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu

Why don't [you] start an airport watch program? If you sit around waiting for someone to do it, you may have to wait all your life. Maybe you can help the community to get it done!

The program in Florida (MIA) was the result of hard work by the local spotter community there together with a responsive management team at the airport. While we have a very solid and willing community here, the other party has't been so cooperative unfortunately.
    Port Authority is a far cry from the people who run the grounds at MIA. Maybe with some time and better interaction we can coexist a little better and get some spotting at EWR
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post

Why Manny never gets in such situation? Because Manny is like a Figaro:

"Figaro! Here I am.
    O me, Figaro! Here I am.
    Figaro here, Figaro there,
    Figaro up, Figaro down,"

http://youtu.be/t20fvLO_RXo
    [URL="http://www.airport-data.com/photographers/gbmax:5834/"]My Aircraft Photos[/URL]

Instead of us all arguing and getting heated about the issue, why don't we step up and try to get some changes. I for one have no problem typing up a letter and emailing the PA of NY/NJ some ideas and question them. Using examples of MIA and how they have a group that provides some extra eyes on the airport FOR FREE can only help.

After all what's the worst that can happen. The PA responds back with a no or completely blows off the email. At least we can all say we tried to be the change.

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31
    Quote Originally Posted by CathayA340 View Post
    I would love to help with the spotting guides. I think I contacted someone a while ago about a spot at [REMOVED BY MODERATOR] You can email me at nycplanespotting1 (at) gmail (dot) com.
    And for the EWR description, I personally think it should sound a bit more dangerous :P
    Is that location private property? If it is, then best not to advertise it.
    Last edited by PhilDernerJr; 2014-11-30 at 12:58 PM.

Gintaras, I have paid my dues with LEO. But then again, I am an old man with too much experience in common sense situations. Think about it this way. You go to the zoo, you go to the lion's cage. You put your hand inside the cage to give lions some candy? Doubt it.

Rinse, repeat.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Quote Originally Posted by Len90 View Post
    Instead of us all arguing and getting heated about the issue, why don't we step up and try to get some changes. I for one have no problem typing up a letter and emailing the PA of NY/NJ some ideas and question them. Using examples of MIA and how they have a group that provides some extra eyes on the airport FOR FREE can only help.

After all what's the worst that can happen. The PA responds back with a no or completely blows off the email. At least we can all say we tried to be the change.
    If anyone wants to write letters or perform any idea that comes up, I will get behind almost any of it and contribute to that. Know that in the past, I've tried a lot, speaking with airport managers and PANYNJ executives (even giving speeches at public meetings), even becoming friends with some. I have actually had meeting with some in airport management (not at EWR, mind you) about an Airport Watch idea, and even when a couple of them could almost kinda see the benefit, it is killed by red tape because of how large the organization is (they own a half dozen airports), or others in the group that disagree shoot it down.

Keep in mind that "Airport Watch" here in NYC means something different than what we are used to, and is a program that already exists. So a new name would be needed.

Also keep in mind that someone in management at EWR is specifically anti-spotting, having stating that they feel that planespotting is something that they NEED to deter.

If anyone wants to task me with stuff, I'll do it. If someone else wants to do it, I'll follow that and help as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
    Is that location private property? If it is, then best not to advertise it.
    I was shocked when I saw that too. More shocked that the post was allowed to remain. I don't understand how in this delicate situation a spot that is instant trouble is discussed openly in a public forum. It just boggles my mind. Where is the leadership?