Thread: Filming LGA landing for documentary

Filming LGA landing for documentary

Hi Everyone,

First off, thanks for this great forum. The planespotting guides in particular have been very helpful.

I'm filming a documentary about a group of foreign musicians who put out an unlikely jazz album, and get invited to perform at Jazz at Lincoln Center. The film is basically done, but I need to get a nice shot of a plane arrival showing off New York nicely. I came across some pictures and video online of landings at Laguardia with the Manhattan skyline behind, and I think that's what I'd like to film. From the research I've done here and elsewhere, it seems to me that the shot I'm looking for is Runway 22 arrivals, filmed from Herman Macneil Park, or somewhere nearby. I went out there recently to try to get the shot, but found (after a lengthy trip- I don't live nearby) that the flights were coming in on a different runway, so it didn't work.

I've found links for LGA ATIS and LGA live ATC, but to be honest, I'm a total novice and have a real tough time figuring out what they're saying. Sometimes it's almost inaudible. Is there another way to figure out ahead of time if flights are landing on that path? I'll need to rent a telephoto lens, and make a long drive out there, so I'd really like to figure out whether it's going to work out beforehand.

Also, of course I understand security concerns related to giving out this information. I'm posting under my real name, and I'd be happy to speak about the film project with anyone who'd like to find out more information. If someone wants to take an active role in helping me figure this out, I'd be happy to put you in the film credits (my co-director is a recent Oscar winner, and the film is likely to be pretty visible).

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Andy Schocken

You can always use trackers like flightradar24.com of planefinder.net to check in real time what approach they are using.
    ATIS is your best bet, though. It will tell you exactly what approach they are using, be it expressway visual 31 or VOR 22 and so on.
    Follow me on Twitter and friend me on Facebook.

Thanks! Those are much easier to follow. Any advice on weather conditions I might look for the day before to try to get a jump on planning?

Quote Originally Posted by aschocken View Post
    Thanks! Those are much easier to follow. Any advice on weather conditions I might look for the day before to try to get a jump on planning?
    You could always check the wind forecast but that can change...