Thread: Your Veteran's Day Thoughts

Your Veteran's Day Thoughts

We are working on some coverage here for the site on Veterans' Day, which is coming up soon.

We would love to see all of your thoughts on the day, sharing memories of veterans that you know, maybe even your own experience as a veteran and what the holiday means to you, or a message that you'd like to share with veterans. Feel free to post pics. Whatever you put up may end up in an article or social media postings!

Thanks all.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

My father was a WWII Veteran, he flew B-24's for the Mighty Eighth AF out of England on bombing runs over Nazi Germany and Nazi-occupied France, in 1944. He flew a total of 31 missions, twice to heavily-defended Berlin.

On one mission, the airplane suffered a flak hit and they had to shut down one of the engines and feather the prop. Slowly, my father and his nine crewmembers began to fall out of formation, opening them up to a final attack by the Luftwaffe. Fortunately, the squadron commander ordered everyone to fly 13mph slower, so my Dad's plane, "Rhapsody In Junk", could keep up. Because of this brave decision, made 70 years ago by another Veteran that I will never get to meet(or thank), my Dad was able to return to base, then back home to New York, where he started a business and a family, bringing me into this world so that we could both one day enjoy aviation together. He did his job in the War, to help keep this country free from tyranny. I miss him every day.

Megatop - awesome story and pics! Thanks for sharing!