Thread: KRDU, An Ongoing Thread

KRDU, An Ongoing Thread

Similar to CLT, I wanted to start a thread for RDU so I don't have to post a new thread each time I head out.

Today's adventure began with Triangle Transit, one of the bus lines here. I had to get from Chapel Hill to RDU after I saw Lone Star One was heading to RDU. After an hour long bus ride including a transfer, I walked another mile or so from the terminal to the GA terminal where there is one of two observation decks on RDU's grounds. They're both excellent spots. This one had a cafe and bathrooms just inside the doors to the terminal. Anyway, I've only edited the Lone Star One shots so far, but expect more in the coming days. I've also joined Zipcar to avoid hour long bus rides to RDU.

Adam Sheinhaus

Nice grab! Was she landing on the east side then? I wasn't aware there was a spotting deck that faced eastward.

Also, how was the walk from the terminal to the GA side of the field? I've always figured you had to walk through the tunnel underneath the taxiways.

Looking forward to more RDU action from you.

I made my first ever stop at RDU on 10/25. SW seemed to all land on the East side. Which limits you to afternoon shots from the GA Observation deck.

Quote Originally Posted by skyteam18 View Post
    Nice grab! Was she landing on the east side then? I wasn't aware there was a spotting deck that faced eastward.

Also, how was the walk from the terminal to the GA side of the field? I've always figured you had to walk through the tunnel underneath the taxiways.

Looking forward to more RDU action from you.
    Thanks. She did land on the East side. On the top of the GA terminal there's a small outdoor porch that's used for spotting. The terminal itself is very nice as I mentioned. The walk from the terminal was more annoying than anything. It was about 15-20 minutes but the sidewalk is very limited. I did have to go through the tunnels, although thankfully there is a small curb/sidewalk to walk on.
    Adam Sheinhaus

Another special Southwest made an appearance today:

I'll have some more once I finish editing the set.
    Adam Sheinhaus

I made my 2nd trip to RDU this past week. What a great airport! I will likely be heading there monthly.

By the way, we will be hosting a spotting event there next Spring!
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Nice work, Adam!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. View Post
    Cool! Looking forward to it!

I made my 2nd trip to RDU this past week. What a great airport! I will likely be heading there monthly.By the way, we will be hosting a spotting event there next Spring!
    Let me know when you're down here next and I'll try to meet up with you somewhere. It really is a nice little airport. Plenty of space to grow, too.

Looking forward to it!

Thanks as always, John.
    Last edited by adscram14; 2014-11-10 at 12:59 AM.
    Adam Sheinhaus

I made my 2nd trip to RDU this past week. What a great airport! I will likely be heading there monthly.

Monthly from NY. Wow. I agree it is a great little airport. Its only 5hrs from me. May be spending some weekend there this winter.

NYCA's Managing Editor, Sarina Houston, lives there. I try to spend a day each month to work side by side with her. The spotting observation deck is pretty great. Someone had said it was a wonderful airport if you like regional jets, but they have several heavies that visit! The GA terminal is gorgeous as well. I really like it there.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Some stuff to share from the past 6 months or so...

Adam Sheinhaus

Some good stuff, Adam! I haven't been to RDU in a while, I need to take a run up there soon.

What a great shot of the Salmon Thirty Salmon