Thread: Turkish Air Force KC-135 KDOV pics

Turkish Air Force KC-135 KDOV pics

Greetings.
    I managed to come full circle today with my TUAF KC-135. It haunted me for a few years after missing it in 2010/2011. A few years back I had a chance to photograph one at KWRI but my camera locked up as the plane flew past me and I was screwed. All I got was tail and trees by the time I was able to take a shot. Well today I got my second chance. While I was there shooting the KC-135 the Turkish C-130 departed- very nice sound as it was doing a run-up on the runway for about 2 minutes. By the time I left there was some activity around the Turkish KC-135 and the Cargo door was open and the engine covers were off. I suspect it was going out tonight at some point. I already have some shots of the TUAF C-130 from KWRI so I just got some video of it as it departed. The Kuwaiti Air Force C-17 was also back in but departed earlier in the day.

Senga
    Last edited by SengaB; 2014-09-28 at 10:41 PM.

Great shots, Senga! I don't recall seeing photos of the Turkish KC-135s before. And I checked - I didn't fly this one (or any of those sold to Turkey).

Thanks John,
    There seems to not be too many shots of them. It seems they started getting them around 1995 or so. Did you fly any of the others that ended up with the French, Saudis, RAF etc?

Senga

Really awesome catch!!! Gosh, getting either of those cargo planes would have been a great catch but you got both, nice!
    Were you tipped-off that the TuAF KC-135 was at DOV or did you track it in?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiffy View Post
    Were you tipped-off that the TuAF KC-135 was at DOV or did you track it in?
    Senga just knows...
    :-)

Quote Originally Posted by SengaB View Post
    Did you fly any of the others that ended up with the French, Saudis, RAF etc?
    I flew one KC-135 that eventually went to France. We were TDY at RAF Mildenhall, and it was one of the tankers in the task force there, not one of our unit birds. France originally had new-build KC-135As (actually -135FR) but received a handful (upgraded to R-models) to replace some of those original airframes. Turkey, Singapore, and Chile are the only other countries to operate KC-135s - Turkey and Singapore have R-models, Chile has E-models. The other operators are primarily E-3/707 based, although the RAF recently acquired 3 KC-135s which were modified to RC-135 configuration to replace their Nimrod reconnaissance aircraft.

John,
    Wow I had no idea the Chilean Air Force Recently got a KC-135 (single refueling tail boom) I did get some shots the FAC 707-300 they had. The Tanker/Troop Transport came in in place of the usually 737 as a VIP flight in 2007 (UNGA). Usually the 737 came in but this time they brought the 707. After that they got the 767.

Kiffy,Yes, The KC-135 was was tracked.
    Yea my TUAF shot from WRI was from the ramp area so it was much better than the Dover shot. personally I like your shots better . It looks weathered and worn out unlike my shot from a few years back. I noticed that the TUAF C-130 I shot September 17th 2009 was in the same time frame we got the TUAF KC-135 and C-130 this time.

Senga
    Last edited by SengaB; 2014-10-02 at 01:12 AM.

Dang, that's a great catch Senga

The ramp at DOV isn't the best because the lighting is only good early in the morning and there can be a ton of heat haze but at least it's right next to the museum.
    Interesting about the timing. I hope the KC-135 comes back, that's a helluva catch!
    Last edited by Kiffy; 2014-10-02 at 01:25 AM.

Thanks all,
    It was a one off.
    I wish I got the FAC 707 before the painted it into the military grey livery. When I saw that shiny sheen on that one morning next to the "Halmar" lot I knew exactly who it belonged to. Totally unexpected. Should mention again the shot is from UNGA 2007.

Senga