Thread: Illegal Drone Video Shoot at Bayswater Park

Senior Member Aviation.High.Guy's Avatar

Illegal Drone Video Shoot at Bayswater Park

While some of us were doing UN spotting there was a film shoot going on with use of a drone. It's really scary that someone would attempt this so close to an airport.

I found this video of it online>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0DG...ature=youtu.be
    -Don B.

That was very wierd with the orchestra/rock band!!
    BTw another drone came too close to an NYPD copter the other day in Brooklyn!! I swear its just a matter of time before one of these idiots makes cointact with a real aircraft!!

Did the drone ever go above the treetops?
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Phil, I approached the gentleman flying the drone and warned him. He stated that he was not going to fly it above the tree line, and appreciated me coming over to mention it. He did not go above it.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Alright. Seems like he is aware at least. Below the treetops seems to be the name of the game when you're in Class B airspace (which is most of NYC).
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

So there are regulations for these things? I thought they were completely unregulated and that's why everyone is worried about them. At least there's an altitude regulation for them around airports at least(can't say the same for Manhattan it seems)

ok, so here is the deal.

the NTSB has ruled against the FAA in several enforcement actions saying that the FAA does not have enforceable regulations against UAS/drones. however, this only applied to drones in general, and has ruled against drone operators for specific operations, like those in controlled airspace, especially Class A, B, C, and D airspace. the definition of a UAS/drone has also been defined as an "aircraft", so unlike ultralights which are "aerial vehicles", they are subject to the rules of part 91 and 93.

so in this case, that quad-copter was likely in Class B airspace once it broke ground, and without a clearance. depending on the shape of the airspace, if you are within 5 miles of a towered airport, you are in the tower's airspace standing on the ground, and any flights there would be in violation of regulations unless there was coordination (clearance) from the controlling ATC facility - the tower.

however, if the machine never gets above tree top level and doesn't p.o. anyone, no one is going to care. but once it is above tree top level, it can now be a hazard to helicopters at lower altitudes and airplanes at higher altitudes.

this guy has some great videos, but the craft in several videos is clearly in the NYC Class B airspace, and at altitudes typically used by helicopters and LGA/JFK arrivals. there is also one video where he is clearly in canadian restricted airspace over niagra falls.

there have been numerous reports of airliners having very close calls with these crafts, and unlike a bird, the impact damage to airliners is likely to be considerable.

the fines can very quickly run into the thousands of dollars, and unfortunately the buyers of these machines are completely unaware of the risk they are causing, and that they can face (financial).
    Last edited by stratoduck; 2014-09-24 at 07:29 PM.

Senior Member Aviation.High.Guy's Avatar
    I realize that the drone operator was keeping it below the tree top level, but isn't there inherent risk of a malfunction with such a new technology? A malfunction that could cause it to climb and / or stray out of range of its' controller? I think that should be reason enough to keep drones outside the bravo area.

By the way, I thought Mark handled it very well in how he addressed the concern with the film crew.
    -Don B.

if a drone is going to have major malfunction, it is likely that gravity will be the winner.

some of the better models have a function if they loose signal or are getting low on battery, they will go into a hover and then slow descent. i'm not concerned about problems with the craft, but ignorance of the operator.

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    With all these drones about, I think its high time I get firearms trained and go get some target practice in...
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Well... at least one brand of quadcopter seems to have generated complaints about a failure with the failsafe "go home" function. DJI makes the Phantom, which is a higher-end drone. It seems to have good reviews for features and functionality. However, based on numerous customer complaints (Googled it), the Phantom allegedly has the potential to "Fly Away". It may spontaneously stop responding to control inputs and then will not obey the "go home" function which means the operator loses control of the drone. Many theories abound as to what causes this to happen, but when it does, usually something gets damaged. No idea if DJI has fixed this problem just yet.

Here is just one of a bunch of links on the issue:

http://www.photographybay.com/2013/0...s-and-cameras/

Quote Originally Posted by Speedbagel_001 View Post
    Well... at least one brand of quadcopter seems to have generated complaints about a failure with the failsafe "go home" function. DJI makes the Phantom, which is a higher-end drone. It seems to have good reviews for features and functionality. However, based on numerous customer complaints (Googled it), the Phantom allegedly has the potential to "Fly Away". It may spontaneously stop responding to control inputs and then will not obey the "go home" function which means the operator loses control of the drone. Many theories abound as to what causes this to happen, but when it does, usually something gets damaged. No idea if DJI has fixed this problem just yet.

Here is just one of a bunch of links on the issue:

http://www.photographybay.com/2013/0...s-and-cameras/
    I have some experience with the DJI Phantom, and I can say that the "go home" feature does work as advertized....until it malfunctions. The unit I used did eventually run into the "fly away" error where it would not respond to remote control input and was gaining altitude in an uncontrolled manner....until it came crashing down to earth.

I would strongly advise against using a "drone" at a location that close to an approach.
    Follow me on Twitter and friend me on Facebook.