Thread: Another potential great spotting lens

Another potential great spotting lens

Sigma has announced they're going to challenge Tamron in the 150-600 zoom range prior to Photokina. It seems they're aiming at a higher end market with this lens for those of us unable to make the huge step up to the more exotic 200-400 type zooms or their 120-300.

http://petapixel.com/2014/09/05/sigm...-3-sport-zoom/

UPDATE:
    It seems as though Sigma-Rumors was caught a bit off guard last week as Sigma released not one, but two 150-600mm f5-6.3 lenses. One is a consumer level "Contemporary" model aimed squarely at the Tamron 150-600, and the other a higher end weather sealed "Sports" model being closer in size to their 120-300 f2.8 and costing almost twice as much.

http://sigma-rumors.com/2014/09/sigm...s-differences/

In traditional Murphy's Law fashion, these lenses were announced mere hours before I received a call stating that a Tamron 150-600 had finally come in with my name on it at the local camera store. I ended up turning down the offer to buy the Tammy (mostly due to the end of airshow season knowing it wouldn't see much use until next summer) and will be keeping an eye on both of the Sigmas closely. Time will tell, but I'm really hoping to add the Sports model to my collection at some point along with a longer piece of fast glass for sports and action shooting.

It will be awfully hard to pass up on 600mm at the long end for spotting and airshows, and now there's quite the variety of choices for us AvGeeks to chose from.

Looking forward to seeing some real-world photos taken with both. If I like what I see(especially with performance at the long end) I may be trading in my 150-500os. Happy to sacrifice some pro-level sharpness that I don't need in exchange for a focal range that's damn near perfect for plane spotting.