Thread: 2014 Selfridge Airshow

2014 Selfridge Airshow

Hey Everyone,

Today marked the start of aerial preparations for this year's Selfridge airshow and open house featuring the USN Blue Angels in addition to an overall "Women in Aviation" theme (with Julie Clark, Patty Wagstaff, Melissa Pemberton, and the Misty Blues among the other performers). I spent the better part of Thursday out on the shoulder of a road near the base enjoying the sound of freedom as the Blue Angels took to the skies twice. The early flight consisted primarily of circle maneuvers to establish checkpoints with a few limited show maneuvers as well, followed an hour later by a full run through the show routine. The results of today's photography are posted below.

As always, thanks for looking!

Blue Angels 1 and 2 during the early circle maneuvers establishing checkpoints on the angled showline

The Diamond formed up for a few quick maneuvers towards the end of their circle flights.

Looks like the checkpoints worked, with a near perfect meeting at show center!

Blue Angel 2 pulling a bit of vapor rejoining the formation.

The Diamond formation breaks off to land following the early flight making way for the solos.

The #5 jet was expereincing some sort of mechanical issues, so the two seater went up in its place.

The Blue Angel diamond completing the echelon pass.

The end of the line abrest loop

Blue Angel #6 pulling some g's setting up to rejoin the formation.

Perhaps the luckiest shot of the coming show. As much as I would love to say I planned it like this, that'd be a boldfaced lie for sure as I couldn't even really see clearly out of my right eye at the time, suffering from dry contacts.

Thanks again, and stay tuned for coverage of Friday's practice as well as Saturday and Sunday's shows!

Mark

Great shots Mark, looking forward to seeing your shots of the 107th A-10s flying at their home show too this weekend !!

Thanks Chris! Have no fear, the 107th's Hogs are pretty much my primary targets for the weekend having friends in the squadron who always seem to appreciate action shots of their jets.

Sorry for the delay in posting images from this weekend's show. Due to severe storms Friday evening I was rendered incapable of accessing the internet until this morning. Despite this, the airshow went on as planned, with pictures from Saturday and Sunday's festivities being slated for posting later this afternoon.

Friday marked the second day of Blue Angels action at Selfridge ANGB. I took the opportunity to change locations from Thursday's roadside viewpoint to a location in a neighborhood closer to the threshold. This location provided a group of fellow aviation enthusiasts a great location to watch the show and listen in on the communications over my friend's scanner.
    With near perfect light and plenty of humidity (Thanks to high temps, an unstable atmosphere that would explode in spectacular fashion later in the day, and an oppressive 95+ degree temp) there was plenty of vapor to go around.

Thanks for looking, and enjoy the shots!

Today's practice was for a low show, anticipating the clouds that would hamper a high show during Saturday's demonstration.

Diamond takeoff

Blue Angel #6 performs the low transition takeoff

The Blue Angel diamond exiting the box performing the Double Farvel

Lt Mark Tedrow approaching centerpoint to perform the opposing knife edge pass

The Line Abreast flat pass

Blue Angel #3 exiting the flightline after the low break cross

Boss tipping a wing to our group during the approach to center for a crossing maneuver

The Blue Angel Delta roll

Lead Solo LCdr Dave Tickle in the second half of the break to land
    Last edited by captmjk16; 2014-09-08 at 12:39 PM.

Following the severe storms Friday evening, the show opened slightly later than planned on Saturday morning. A crowd of approximately 75,000 showed up despite widespread power outages and downed trees to view Saturday's show, despite a pesky batch of clouds that forced Randy Ball and the Blue Angels into low shows.

Thanks for looking, and enjoy!

A Stewart C-17A showed up late Friday in lieu of a planned B-52 and had lines stretching more than twice the length of the aircraft.

A handful of A-10Cs were on display courtesy of the Selfridge based 107th Fighter Squadron. This particular hog was loaded down with inert ordinance.

A Selfridge based KC-135 taking off for a brief flight demonstration

The KC-135's boom pass

The KC-135 recovering just prior to the A-10 flybys.

A four ship of A-10s from the 107th provided a few flybys including this opening finger four formation

Tail 196 coming in at treetop level following a missed approach

Tail 998 passing by the tower

More panning as tail 996 slowly climbs away from the runway

Steve Oliver goes skydancing

Melissa Pemberton waving to the crowd towards the end of her high energy routine.

Randy Ball did not disappoint despite the low clouds

Not the sharpest shot ever, but I like how the panning effect turned out

Also not the best pan ever, but I caught the strobe!

Stand by for the Blues
    Last edited by captmjk16; 2014-09-08 at 12:40 PM.

Lt Tedrow performing the low transition takeoff

The Blue Angel Diamond 360

The opposing knife edge pass

The Diamond's portion of the Dirty-Clean Flat Pass

The Diamond echelon parade

The solos performing the opposing four point rolls

At first I had thought this was just a mostly backlit shot of the sneak pass, but upon closer examination I saw no less than six shockwaves visible in the full size image. LCdr Tickle was definitely getting up near Mach 1

The line abreast flat pass

Diamond breakout

The Blue Angel Delta formation

Pitch out break to land

About an hour and a half after the Blues landed the static area was empty enough to get this unobstructed shot of the C-17.
    Last edited by captmjk16; 2014-09-08 at 12:40 PM.

Nice shots Mark ! Great to see Selfridge was able to fly their A-10s during the show also !

Thanks Chris. It was great to see the Hogs up, and we even got that unexpected set of "missed" approaches to get some nice shots of the jets down low.

Sunday's shots are way overdue, had a busy (short) week with way too much going on.

And now, Sunday's (Incredibly backlit) Blue Angel Performance:

That's all folks.

There's so much drama in these shots, Mark, excellent job even given the backlighting.

Thanks William, glad you like them!