Thread: Technical Question

Technical Question

I could not find a forum to place this but it has to do with computer-tracking of aircraft via smartphones. My iPhone is not equipped to use Java applets or Flash and it won't download Firefox as well. It has to do with copyright infringement and paying fees, which Apple refuses to do. Apple also deleted Google maps, but it could be downloaded. Are there any smartphones which can show Webtrak, Passur, etc? I have tried in stores to download these but the applets were not shown. Is this because smartphones don't have enough free space? Please enlighten this senior citizen. Thanks.

Wappingers Falls, New York, United States
    You would be much better served by purchasing FlightRadar24 or Planefinder for use on your phone. Both apps provide real-time tracking for at least some aircraft. I own both apps, and each have their pros and cons and keep leapfrogging each other in terms of functionality. These days I find that I am using FlightRadar24 more than Planefinder, but it depends on what I am doing. Planefinder is more expensive (and has different versions for iPhone and iPad on top of it) but is all inclusive. FlightRadar24 is less expensive up front (and is a universal app for both platforms) but has in-app purchases for some functionality. Several of us here provide real-time feeds for Flightradar24 and/or Planefinder. This article is a bit out of date but gives you the basics of both.

And the web versions of both apps are great as well, though they are significantly limited on mobile devices.
    Ben Granucci, Wappingers Falls, NY
    NYCAviation Senior Editor & Director
    On Twitter @blgranucci
    More photos on Flickr
    [email protected]

Thanks again Ben. Unfortunately, my iPhone has no free disc space to download any new apps; can't even download nyc aviation, which is the best. Tried deleting apps but still dpon't have enough free space. The iPhones' internal memory can never be increased as it has no slot for a card. It also refuses Firefox, Java, etc. Which smartphone do you recommend? Hope to see you all at LGA Kids Day.

Wappingers Falls, New York, United States
    I'd suggest deleting old pictures and/or music files from it. Or just get a phone with more storage. I'm an iPhone guy, I have a 32gb iPhone 5 now, will probably get a 64gb model next time. You can't have too much storage.
    Ben Granucci, Wappingers Falls, NY
    NYCAviation Senior Editor & Director
    On Twitter @blgranucci
    More photos on Flickr
    [email protected]

As Ben suggested, remove older photos and other media files. Check Camera Roll. If you have any VIDEOs, those eat up big chunks of space. Before doing any of that though, make sure everything you wish to keep has been properly backed up first. If you sync and back up your iPhone to your computer's iTunes or to iCloud (if you have an account), its an easy process to back up your content. Photostream content should be backed up as well – on a Mac, that process is handled through iPhoto - not sure about on a PC. iTunes will even give you a bar graph description of what kind of content is eating up space on your iPhone. (Not really sure what the "Other" category is...). On the iPhone itself, go to Settings-->General-->Usage, and you'll see similar information as to what is eating up the storage. Also, if you use the messaging feature, make sure to delete any old photos/videos from the messages themselves.