Thread: Finding Dream Lifter

Question Finding Dream Lifter

I saw DreamLifter last year by chance at Coney Island arriving on 13L. What is its ID #? Is it GTI 4241? I think it comes from Taranto,Italy delivering aircraft parts. Can spotters learn in advance when she's arriving at JFK? Where is her final destination in the US? Is she unloaded by the Triple Hangars or by Rwy 31L?

Looks like they use different flight numbers, and FlightAware just lists it as a standard 744 type. You could try setting up alerts based on registrations:

N747BC
    N780BA
    N249BA
    N718BA

Normally, they use call signs like GTI4121, 2141 etc... From experience, they will come in the afternoon on weekdays and they unload at the atlas ramp all the way by the WEST end of RWY 13R-13L.
    Probably the youngest spotter ever to walk up the face of the mounds.
    Jared B. -Boces Aviation Ops Student, Jericho NY

I didn't know the DreamLifter was lost! :)

You can track the DreamLifters. The flight number for the one that typically passes via JFK is GTI4241. They don't typically drop off anything.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

And they prefer 31L when on 31s. Rarely do they land 13L (and will usually ask for the right side) but we do get lucky at times.

When using the perpendicular set, they stick to 22L/4R. Finally, they like Friday afternoons as far as I recall when they have come in while I was paying attention.

You may want to keep track of the line in Charleston, SC. When DreamLifter comes through NYC it is usually on its way to or from there and Italy, UK where the Central Fuselage, Horizontal Stabilizer and Engines are made for the DreamLiner. Other parts come from Asia (Japan, Korea, Australia) so they typically come via the West. I only remember the DreamLifter to/from Europe...

[edit]

I forgot, doors and landing gear also come from France, UK and Sweden
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Thanks for all the feedback guys. It seems she parks not far from where Cargolux parks, which sadly is inaccessible to spotters like myself who have no access to ramp areas. There are no spotting places by the west-end of Rwy 13R/31L. I guess she only comes to JFK to re-fuel or are any parts dispersed? I doubt if the front of the fuselage swings-open when cargo is loaded/unloaded like the B74Fs.

From my experience, sometimes they will park right in front of the fence, although that could have been a one off occasion.
    Probably the youngest spotter ever to walk up the face of the mounds.
    Jared B. -Boces Aviation Ops Student, Jericho NY

The horizontal stabilizer and center fuselage sections come from Italy. http://www.newairplane.com/787/whos_...niaAeronautica

Nothing is offloaded at JFK, its a fuel stop

Quote Originally Posted by Speedbird1 View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback guys. It seems she parks not far from where Cargolux parks, which sadly is inaccessible to spotters like myself who have no access to ramp areas. There are no spotting places by the west-end of Rwy 13R/31L. I guess she only comes to JFK to re-fuel or are any parts dispersed? I doubt if the front of the fuselage swings-open when cargo is loaded/unloaded like the B74Fs.
    Speedbird,

The DreamLifter only has the entire rear of the plane swing open on two massive hinges and it requires a specially built ground lift (built by Hyster I believe) to support the weight of the tail / door assembly while it swings and remains open. There are only a few of them built and are already where they are needed most. THere isn;t one at JFK so it does not open while here in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by DHG750R View Post
    The horizontal stabilizer and center fuselage sections come from Italy. http://www.newairplane.com/787/whos_...niaAeronautica

Nothing is offloaded at JFK, its a fuel stop
    You must have missed when I posted the same above

Speedbird, here are pics and a video of the tail section

Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Quote Originally Posted by Speedbird1 View Post
    I saw DreamLifter last year by chance at Coney Island arriving on 13L. What is its ID #? Is it GTI 4241? I think it comes from Taranto,Italy delivering aircraft parts. Can spotters learn in advance when she's arriving at JFK? Where is her final destination in the US? Is she unloaded by the Triple Hangars or by Rwy 31L?
    Found this blog that tracks dreamlifter movements. you can see whenever a flight plan is filed.
    http://lcfmovements.blogspot.com/