Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: KPHL/KEWR Security Updates

I have been going to EWR for a little while now and had avoided issues at the Ikea lot. I would park near the toys r us and photograph for like an hour. Yesterday I was there for a few minutes arriving just in time to catch the 10:30am departure of US Airways Arizona. After photographing the plane parking lot security informed me that per Elizabeth PD there is no photographs of the airplanes. I thanked him for informing me and proceeded to question if Toys R Us was open right now or if they were opening at 11 ;) I'll probably take a a little break from going to EWR. The good news was I was in a loaner vehicle so that car will never be back there again :D

As for PHL, I appreciate all that was done by Paul for making it a spotter tolerant airport. When I am at school, I'm at most 25 minutes away from there. It's a great place for me to go on a nice day to just clear my head and forget about all the stress I am under at school. I always park on the far side of the road and give a friendly wave to the Philly PD that drive by. Once or twice a local Tinicum Twp. police car has driven by, but never even looked at me.

Had a problem with 2 AB security cars up atop the T5 Garage last week. I spoke nicely to the lady and gentleman but was informed that credentials are required to take either photos or videos from the roof. I was told that I must leave. Others had told me that they had no problems at this same spot but I believe they showed some sort of FAA IDs or JFK employee IDs. I am a lone spotter without any credentials, so I left. Maybe a group spotting is a better option. The guards were extremely courteous and said they were just doing their jobs which I respect. How does a spotter get credentials?

Quote Originally Posted by Speedbird1 View Post
    Had a problem with 2 AB security cars up atop the T5 Garage last week. I spoke nicely to the lady and gentleman but was informed that credentials are required to take either photos or videos from the roof. I was told that I must leave. How does a spotter get credentials?

http://yellowpress.com/free-press-pass/
    Just one of many sites that you can download 'credentials', or try this...
    http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx....85.32&idno=47
    (7) The term representative of the news media refers to any person or entity that gathers information of potential interest to a segment of the public, uses its editorial skills to turn the raw materials into a distinct work, and distributes that work to an audience. In this clause, the term news means information that is about current events or that would be of current interest to the public. Examples of news-media entities are television or radio stations broadcasting to the public at large and publishers of periodicals (but only if such entities qualify as disseminators of news) who make their products available for purchase or subscription by, or free distribution to, the general public. These examples are not all-inclusive. Moreover, as methods of news delivery evolve (for example, the adoption of electronic dissemination of newspapers through telecommunications services), such alternative media shall be considered to be news-media entities. A freelance journalist shall be regarded as working for a news-media entity if the journalist can demonstrate a solid basis for expecting publication through that entity, whether or not the journalist is actually employed by the entity. A publication contract would present a solid basis for such an expectation; the Commission may also consider the past publication record of the requester in making such a determination.
    I've used it before, I'm a person, gathering info (aircraft photos) of interest to a (small) segment of the public, and I post on and as a member of Flightaware, a aviation news/info site.

I find it odd that the word "yellow" is in the title of that journalism site

Quote Originally Posted by megatop412 View Post
    I find it odd that the word "yellow" is in the title of that journalism site
    Good ol' Yellow Journalism Aye? Haha
    From what I've heard, it is very possible to obtain a "photog permit" from the port...It's just that I don't want to volunteer that I'm out spotting.
    Has anybody tried obtaining a one day spotting pass?
    Probably the youngest spotter ever to walk up the face of the mounds.
    Jared B. -Boces Aviation Ops Student, Jericho NY

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Blech View Post
    Good ol' Yellow Journalism Aye? Haha
    From what I've heard, it is very possible to obtain a "photog permit" from the port...It's just that I don't want to volunteer that I'm out spotting.
    Has anybody tried obtaining a one day spotting pass?
    If there were such a thing we all would have them by now. They do not want us out there, period. Some ponds have too many gators in them for fishing anything good out of

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    http://yellowpress.com/free-press-pass/
    Just one of many sites that you can download 'credentials', or try this...
    http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx....85.32&idno=47

I've used it before, I'm a person, gathering info (aircraft photos) of interest to a (small) segment of the public, and I post on and as a member of Flightaware, a aviation news/info site.

Using questionable credentials is a perfect way to get arrested and to make the authorities even more wary of aircraft spotters....
    You will never know what you will be capable of until you try

Wappingers Falls, New York, United States
    If you read the actual rules of PANYNJ, there is nothing banning photography by the public on airport grounds except in "sensitive areas" such as TSA checkpoints and the FIS areas. The roof of a parking garage really can't be considered a "sensitive area". Allied Barton doesn't seem to understand this, but PAPD usually does. In my experience, AB will try to chase us off almost every time, but when I have pushed back and they call in PAPD, the result is a "have a nice day, carry on" to the spotters and a nice long chat between the cop and the guard.

What IS prohibited is press activity on airport grounds without prior authorization from Media Relations. Commercial activity is also banned without prior permission. So by carrying a press pass (no matter if it is real or fake), you are actually running afoul of the stated policies of the airport.

I have long held that this is where the confusion stems from. Security erroneously equates all photography with being a function of the press, while PAPD will make the distinction. After all, they do always ask us why we are up there.
    Ben Granucci, Wappingers Falls, NY
    NYCAviation Senior Editor & Director
    On Twitter @blgranucci
    More photos on Flickr
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by mldoc View Post
    If you read the actual rules of PANYNJ, there is nothing banning photography by the public on airport grounds except in "sensitive areas" such as TSA checkpoints and the FIS areas. The roof of a parking garage really can't be considered a "sensitive area". Allied Barton doesn't seem to understand this, but PAPD usually does. In my experience, AB will try to chase us off almost every time, but when I have pushed back and they call in PAPD, the result is a "have a nice day, carry on" to the spotters and a nice long chat between the cop and the guard.

What IS prohibited is press activity on airport grounds without prior authorization from Media Relations. Commercial activity is also banned without prior permission. So by carrying a press pass (no matter if it is real or fake), you are actually running afoul of the stated policies of the airport.

I have long held that this is where the confusion stems from. Security erroneously equates all photography with being a function of the press, while PAPD will make the distinction. After all, they do always ask us why we are up there.
    Interesting that this is brought up. So then the issue around KEWR is really Elizabeth PD and not really the PA of NY/NJ. As for a sensitive area, it would have to be what you are photographing, not necessarily where you are taking the picture from.

Which garage are you taking from?

Quote Originally Posted by Len90 View Post
    Interesting that this is brought up. So then the issue around KEWR is really Elizabeth PD and not really the PA of NY/NJ. As for a sensitive area, it would have to be what you are photographing, not necessarily where you are taking the picture from.

Which garage are you taking from?
    The issue is totally with Elizabeth PD. I swear their cars looks exactly like the NYPD.... The only people to trespass me were the Elizabeth PD

Quick PHL update: A group of us were down on Hog Island by the end of 27L last week for the EK203 departure after diverting to PHL. Lots of Philadelphia police drove by said nothing. A K-9 unit passed by, turned around, put on the lights and stopped by. Officer never left his car and stated he didn't care that we were taking pictures. He just wanted to make sure we were not doing and burnouts or drag racing on the road. Encounter was very friendly, officer never left his vehicle, never asked to see ID or names and he left as soon as he came.

I had a run-in with an overzealous PANYNJ employee at the Airtrain station in Terminal A. She was screaming and yelling at me that photos were not allowed. There was a police officer downstairs responding to something else. He saw my camera and my shirt (I was there for Family Day) and asked if I took any decent shots. I showed him a few and he seemed interested. I asked if it would be a problem if I took some shots of the planes on the tarmac out the window. He said it was no problem. I went back upstairs where the same PANYNJ woman nearly screamed her lungs out at me. I told her that the cop said it was ok. She told me that "that's downstairs, you're up here." I went back to the cop, told him what happened, and was told that although there's no policy against photography, he's not allowed to explicitly give me permission to do so and apologized. I sent PANYNJ an email about what happened, and they responded with an apology and a letter that essentially counts as "permission" should I be accosted by another PANYNJ employee.