Thread: DTW 8-15 Afternoon Arrivals

DTW 8-15 Afternoon Arrivals

Hey Everyone,

Following a few days of manual labor assisting with a move, I took the opportunity to stop off at DTW to miss rush hour. The spotting gods were certainly shining down on me today, with ATC sending nearly every interesting aircraft to Runway 22R where I was in position to capture the arrivals. This was my first time on the north side of DTW for spotting, making use of a small paved turn off on Wick Road near some of the airport hotels.

Among the highlights of the day was a string of 3 concecutive heavies (rare for DTW), as well as a few specials. Most importantly, this was the first spotting trip of the 70-200, which brought a level of clarity and sharpness I had never before had in my aviation photos. It was a joy to shoot with, and I can't wait to get back out to shoot more arrivals with it, hopefully with golden hour lining up a bit better with the heavy arrivals.

I started the afternoon off with a Frontier arrival shortly after I parked.

This livery is growing on me more and more, though I still would prefer to catch the old silver birds while they're still around

BEACON!

The first special of the day, and my first time catching this particular jet.

At some point in the afternoon having a UAL ERJ was a great way to break up the DL CRJ monotony...

The first heavy of the trip.

I was glad to get a few non-standard shots that I actually liked. using the wing and engine to frame the Delta titles.

I was also glad to get Frontier's baby Emperor Penguins after missing them when I was in Seattle for a conference due to horrible lighting.

To be continued

The start of the second heavy arrival cluster:

The only three holer of the day:

While it's sad to see the DC-9s gone from Delta's fleet, it's good to see the newest generation is still in service and will remain so for years to come.

Perhaps the best catch of the day, and my first time photographing a USAir/AmericaWest hybrid

With dinner and an early wakeup calling, it was time to leave on a high note, with one of the last heavy arrivals of the evening.

Thanks for looking!

Those Frontier - very nice planes...Great shots !
    [URL="http://www.airport-data.com/photographers/gbmax:5834/"]My Aircraft Photos[/URL]

Some interesting traffic you caught there- don't think I've seen too many of the DL 777's

Thanks William and Gintaras!