Thread: Washington - Dulles going "RNAV off the ground"

Washington - Dulles going "RNAV off the ground"

I have reasons to suspect that the beautiful banking shots off 1R at dulles will soon be going the way of the dodo. I haven't seen the proposed new instrument departures myself, but I heard from a very credible source that in the next 4-6 months Dulles will be switching over to RNAV departures (and arrivals) for all their runways. When this happened in Atlanta a few years back no more were pilots requested to make turns at their discretion crossing the middle marker on departure. Instead now they have an RNAV fix about 5 miles off the departure end of the runway where they begin their turns off runway heading toward the first departure fix. If something similar happens at Dulles, 1R departures will probably be well out over Old Ox Road before they start the 11 degree turn to 360 heading.

Just something to consider if you're like me and love getting photos of the afternoon euro departures banking off 1R.

Disclaimer: this is only speculation on my part with regards to the new procedures coming to IAD. For all I know the new procedure could have them turning at 400 AGL.

Well if last week was any indication, there won't me much to miss. Spent some time watching the heavies depart on 1, and nobody banked...at all. With the 757s being mostly absent the effect was worse, as they had always been the nicest bankers. It was all straightout...

http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1408/05100CAPITAL.PDF

The Capital 8 is the departure used by 1R aircraft. You'll notice that runway heading (No turns) is the way it's printed. Aircraft will only turn if directed by ATC, and some days they don't give the turn at all. (Perhaps due to winds, traffic departing 1C/1R or flow requests from potomac) Did you happen to have a scanner with you that day? If aircraft weren't turning for you, it's because ATC didn't clear them to make a northerly turn after takeoff.

Keep in mind that not every aircraft/airline is authorized for RNAV departures.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. View Post
    Keep in mind that not every aircraft/airline is authorized for RNAV departures.
    Is a certain NYC based airline unable of accepting RNAV departures? ;-)

This is very true though Phil. However, RNAV departures are only becoming more common around the US at major airports. The number of Airlines becoming rnav authorized is only increasing. Dulles's implementation of rnav departures and arrivals is one more step in the steady march that limits the pilot's choice to fly the aircraft to their preference.

I predict at some point in the future, albeit a long time, it will go the way of the air train. Completely computerized and automated. The computers don't have much complaining about long hours
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS