Thread: Air Force One Friday, August 29th possibly HPN?

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31

Air Force One Friday, August 29th possibly HPN?

According to my latest DNC fundraising e-mail, President Obama is having an event in Purchase on Friday, August 29th. The President's other event that day is in Newport, RI.

The President used JFK and helicoptered up during his last trip to the area (to Tarrytown), but he was heading to Manhattan afterwards, so I don't know which is going to be the airport of choice this time around. Can HPN even handle a 747? The runway is an OK length, but the taxiways and ramps there feel much too small.

During his last visit to NYC the POTUS came in on a 757 and not the 747. So, who knows.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Quote Originally Posted by Zee71 View Post
    During his last visit to NYC the POTUS came in on a 757 and not the 747. So, who knows.
    Interesting!! Any reason for that?

Quote Originally Posted by Zee71 View Post
    Hmm.. I remember President Clinton coming to TTN on the DC-9 in 2000, but I was under the impression that since 9/11, it was all 747 at all times because of the communications capabilities.

It depends on where he's going, at least domestically. Sometimes it's easier to fly into a smaller airfield in the C-32 (757) rather than land somewhere farther away that can handle the VC-25 and deal with a longer helicopter/motorcade trip. During the 2004 campaign, GWB flew into FRG on the C-32.

Last edited by moose135; 2014-08-14 at 09:57 PM.

Yep; it's White Plains, and it's 2 moves!
    According to the TFRs, the President will be arriving around 1345 on Friday. He's doing an event somewhere in Westchester (this may be the Purchase thing I got a fundraising e-mail for), then going off to Rhode Island for the evening (PVD is the airport, not Quonset). The White Plains departure will be about 1700, with an arrival back to HPN around 2130. The President is staying overnight and isn't leaving HPN until 2230 on Saturday.

But, wait, there's more!

There's *another* TFR, this one for the Vice President, and it's for Stewart. Arrival there Saturday around noon; departure Sunday around 1400.

If anyone wants to bag a few jets in United States of America livery, this seems to be a pretty good weekend for it.

A 747 cannot land at HPN. Runway length itself being irrelevant...climb performance due to terrain beyond being the bigger challenge.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Ah, thanks Phil. I know a 7-4 going out light isn't as runway constrained as one might think, but I got to the fact that the taxiways probably aren't Code E/Group V capable along the critical path of "why a 747 can't use HPN." I notice also the pavement is only rated for 152Klbs, so there's another critical link. Didn't even consider or know that there were terrain issues. Which runway is the restricting one for terrain?

Final transmission before Arriving at KHPN.
    VC-32 Reg:
    AE4AE8 09-0016 AF1 17:48:24UTC 6 XX B752

Senga

AF1 made a surprise visit into Westchester County Sat late aft/early eve!! Well surprise for us!! The whole Obama family flew in to attend the wedding of the White House chef.

Back in 2008, hillary hired North American Airlines to run her campaign, but HPN wasn't allowing the 757s in, claiming noise abatement, which is ridiculous. So then she went with USA Jet....on a DC-9, for just a short while before she switched to JetBlue.

Glad they let Obama's USAF 757 in, though. :)
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

While I and some other spotters were out at Bayswater Sat Morning, We saw the three USMC V-22's fly right over JFK at around 5-7K feet. Pretty Cool

Warning: Quality Image ahead!
    Probably the youngest spotter ever to walk up the face of the mounds.
    Jared B. -Boces Aviation Ops Student, Jericho NY