Thread: 2014 Thunder Over Michigan (Saturday Images)

2014 Thunder Over Michigan (Saturday Images)

Following my less than successful spotting/practice outing on Friday I headed out to Willow Run once again on Saturday for Thunder Over Michigan. As usual the lighting started off decent for statics, but by the time the first aircraft were in the air the backlight fest had already started on the main showline, severely limiting the number of keepers from the day's early flight acts. The poor lighting problem was aggrivated by a large concrete plant at show center, blocking the view for a large part of the GA seating area.
    When it came time for the headlining USAF Thunderbirds to take to the skies, it came to light that their showline would be off to the side, at about a 45 degree angle to the majority of the crowd, putting everyone except a small number of folks in a VIP chalet at least half a mile from show center. The only positive aspect of this layout was that some of the maneuvers were far better lit as they came over the crowd, but all in all it was quite a tough show to shoot.

First a few statics with an ultrawide.

Hopefully the black and white isn't too cliche... I kinda thought it worked better given the subject (and would probably work better still with some added grain and aging)

And now for some aerial action:

A rare Bell P-63 was part of the show, flying not only in the WWII Victory flight (along with a pair of P-51s, a B-17, and a P-38), but also a full aerobatic demonstration as well.

One of the static display stars was this beautiful 747-200 owned by the startup airline Baltia. They're planning on flying this jet from JFK to St. Petersberg, Russia.

As always, thanks for looking!

Senior Member Aviation.High.Guy's Avatar
    Great set! That B&W is pretty cool. Add some scratches and dust and it'll look like an old news photo. The Baltia livery is simple, but regal looking. Will have to watch for that.
    -Don B.

Thanks Don, glad you liked the shots! I'll keep working on that black and white one too.

Don't look too hard for that Baltia livery yet though, as they're not certified as an air carrier at this point, though it sounds as if they're tracking that way. There's no word yet on a date for the start of ops at this point.

Very nice set! I really like that P-63 - never seen one of those in person.

Thanks for posting...

Thanks Isaac!

I hadn't seen a P-63 before outside of a book or photos, it's a cool little plane with a unique sound to it.

Nice! You got some rare stuff over there and handling the lighting well. Love the F-86!

Nice! Some rare planes in there. Love the Sabre

Thanks William!