Thread: Spotting @ WAW - tips, suggestions...etc...

Spotting @ WAW - tips, suggestions...etc...

Anyone have spotted @ WAW? I'll be there in about a month and will have 3:45 layover @ WAW...I should arrive @ 9:05am and my next flight 12:50...If weather is good, I'd like to go some spotting there...

Thanks in advance for some tips, suggestions...
    [URL="http://www.airport-data.com/photographers/gbmax:5834/"]My Aircraft Photos[/URL]

Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Manny, Thank You very much.
    [URL="http://www.airport-data.com/photographers/gbmax:5834/"]My Aircraft Photos[/URL]

If you have only 3 hours for transfer then you should just stay in the main terminal. Windows everywhere, they are at the angle but you can manage to get acceptable shots.
    There is no more observation deck. It was closed few years ago and extension of the terminal took its place.
    In the morning sun will be in your back so photography will be ok.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Its basic economics, I don't understand it at all..." - Randy Marsh, South Park, CO

Quote Originally Posted by tipek View Post
    If you have only 3 hours for transfer then you should just stay in the main terminal. Windows everywhere, they are at the angle but you can manage to get acceptable shots.
    There is no more observation deck. It was closed few years ago and extension of the terminal took its place.
    In the morning sun will be in your back so photography will be ok.
    Thanks,

I found Planespotting from Warsaw Chopin Airport

Just wonder about these spots:

Are they far from Terminal?

I hope it would be a sunny morning.

Thanks again.

These spots are on the ramp :)
    When there is some media worthy event (Dreamliner's first visit, or LH A380 visit), WAW airport will organize for spotters locations on the ramp.
    So yeah, you can forget access like that :)
    The nearest walking distance spotting location is on Wirazowa street. Its about 30 minutes walk from the terminal one way. Its good in the morning.
    But if you only have 3.5hrs I wouldn't recommend it. Put in google maps this address Wirażowa 64, Warszawa, Poland
    You will see where it is. You could always take a taxi from the terminal one way. But you will have to tip the taxi driver well (I guess $15 including the tip). Otherwise they will either refuse to take you there. What I always do at FRA when I have few hours connection time, I take the taxi to Zepellinhaim (sp?), tell the taxi driver to take me there for 20 Euro (normal fare would be probably under 10 Euro), and pick me up in 2 or 3 hours in the same spot for another 20 Euro.
    Its a win win situation. Especially if the drop off and pick up area is in the forest :)
    Here is example shot of departures from Wirazowa street

If they depart from the other side then you will catch them on the ground taxing right in front of you.

If you decide to stay in the terminal you can get shots like these:

You can see entire ramp, all the gates + big portion of military ramp.

Anyway, its up to you if you want to go outside. I wouldn't. You will get all departures and arrivals from the terminal, vs. only some departures when going to ul.Wirazowa.

Good luck and enjoy WAW airport.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Its basic economics, I don't understand it at all..." - Randy Marsh, South Park, CO

Thank you very much...I hope it will be sunny morning and I'll try to shoot from terminal....I've read somewhere, WAW is very busy in morning hours....