Thread: ADS-B coverage at LGA

ADS-B coverage at LGA

Hope everyone is doing fine.

I'm sure this has been discussed on Twitter but could not find a recent answer on these forums. Anyone can explain why the ADS-B coverage has virtually completely vanished lately. Plane Finder, Flight Radar, whenever I use those, coverage is extremely limited, if any.

Thanks.

There never has been reliable ADS-B coverage at either EWR or LGA. My setup that provides the ground coverage isn't close enough to LGA to provide ground coverage there. Also, a majority of the aircraft into LGA don't even have ADS-B.
    At EWR, it is simply a coverage issue. Just no receivers nearby.
    Follow me on Twitter and friend me on Facebook.

Thanks Jason. I'm still surprised though because I used to get much more info before. Anyways, I wish I could help being in Forest Hills and right under the path to 31 arrivals, before the turn that is. Don't have 360 degree views though.

Quote Originally Posted by RomNYC View Post
    Thanks Jason. I'm still surprised though because I used to get much more info before. Anyways, I wish I could help being in Forest Hills and right under the path to 31 arrivals, before the turn that is. Don't have 360 degree views though.
    It's pretty surprising that the aviation college right across the street from LGA doesn't feed one of the sites

I provide a feed for Flightradar24 (Jason instigated it) at my office near the GWB. It does a decent job but it is marred by huge water towers and an elevator machine room in the way. I can't mount the antenna any further East.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    I provide a feed for Flightradar24 (Jason instigated it) at my office near the GWB. It does a decent job but it is marred by huge water towers and an elevator machine room in the way. I can't mount the antenna any further East.
    Your site actually helps tremendously for MLAT, which uses multiple sites to locate aircraft without ADS-B. Because of it, MLAT works down to about 1,500 feet near LGA!

Quote Originally Posted by yankees368 View Post
    Your site actually helps tremendously for MLAT, which uses multiple sites to locate aircraft without ADS-B. Because of it, MLAT works down to about 1,500 feet near LGA!
    That's awesome. I didn't know they also relied on MLAT for tracking on FR24
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    That's awesome. I didn't know they also relied on MLAT for tracking on FR24
    Click on aircraft around the area and you will see that about 50% of them are MLAT, or without ADS-B. It's pretty awesome! Needs a minimum of 3 receivers, so that's where yours helps.