Thread: HKG-7/4/2014-Terminal Spotting

HKG-7/4/2014-Terminal Spotting

Hey Guys,

Last set of images from the conclusion of my semester in Australia. As many of us may have done before I decided to take a slight detour to experience an airline I had always wanted to fly, and to score a little time to do some spotting in the terminal. As such, I elected to come home via Hong Kong on Cathay Pacific. In reality, this entire layover was planned with one objective, to photograph the Cathay Pacific 747-400, which has been my most sought after photo since I started in this hobby. With the SFO service ending imminently it seemed my only option was to go to the source in Hong Kong, and so I did!

I was very fortunate in that I had sunlight, which it would seems can be rare due to the frequent rains.

IMG_9811_filtered by Nicholas Peterman, on Flickr

Tons of A330s at HKG

IMG_9840_filtered by Nicholas Peterman, on Flickr

IMG_9865_filtered by Nicholas Peterman, on Flickr

IMG_9877_filtered by Nicholas Peterman, on Flickr

An Air China bird I know I will never see in the states!

IMG_9959_filtered by Nicholas Peterman, on Flickr

My first good shot of a 777-300 (non-ER)

IMG_9971_filtered by Nicholas Peterman, on Flickr

And yes, I did find my long-desired Cathay 747s. Mission Accomplished after 4 years!
    IMG_9996_filtered by Nicholas Peterman, on Flickr

My other target of interest was the Orient Thai 767-300 (non-ER), an ex-JAL bird

IMG_0029 by Nicholas Peterman, on Flickr

Managed to get a CX 744 Twofer!

IMG_0113_filtered by Nicholas Peterman, on Flickr

IMG_0097_filtered by Nicholas Peterman, on Flickr

Having only seen 1 757 in 4.5 months I was rather excited to catch one on the other side of the globe from my normal AA birds at DFW

IMG_0068_filtered by Nicholas Peterman, on Flickr

And lastly, the first 777 ever built, B-HNL. The original flying prototype for Boeing, which was later refurbed and given RR engines before delivery to Cathay in the 2000 timeframe

IMG_0046_filtered by Nicholas Peterman, on Flickr

Ultimately there was far more to see and shoot, but having been granted lounge access by Cathay I was more keen to get a shower, some food, and some rest after having already been on the road for a while (I know, I should have sucked it up )

Anyhow, I hope you enjoyed!

Cheers,

Nick

Wow ... that is some haul for terminal spotting to say the least. Safe trip back.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Nice work on those terminal shots. Glad you met that goal on getting the Cathay 744! Have a safe trip back!

Super catch in B-HNL.

Great set!

Thanks guys! Between the 744s and B-HNL it was definitely worth effectively flying 9 hours out of my way and adding over 16 extra hours to my total travel time!

Awesome variety of catches!! The HX, A332 looks really nice with that low light/dark background.

Quote Originally Posted by NickPeterman View Post
    Between the 744s and B-HNL it was definitely worth effectively flying 9 hours out of my way and adding over 16 extra hours to my total travel time!
    Absolutely something I would have done, it seems to have payed off very nicely.

Wow, now that is a very nice field you stopped over at. I would have added a day in HKG to get as much as I could. I'd love to go visit the old Kai Tak(although isn't it a flea market or something now)

Thank you both! Sadly money was a major issue, and a stopover in HKG just wasn't financially viable.

William I believe the old Kai Tak is now, at least partially, a cruise terminal... but I could be wrong.