Thread: APBA Gold Cup Hydroplane Races

APBA Gold Cup Hydroplane Races (Very Image Heavy)

This past weekend was the annual APBA Gold Cup hydroplane races in Detroit. The Gold Cup is the oldest active trophy in motorsports and is often equated to the Super Bowl of the boat racing world. I was fortunate enough to be serving as team photographer for two of the Unlimited teams competing for the cup, though I did try and capture more of the event as well.

Friday's photos are posted below.

I had better access Saturday and Sunday... those shots are on the way.

Thanks for looking!
    Last edited by captmjk16; 2014-07-14 at 01:57 PM.

With better access for the primary race days, I had the opportunity to get better behind the scenes crew type shots. The better waterline view also permitted me to get a bit more creative, giving panning a shot with a keeper rate that shocked me given the dynamic nature of the boats. The on the water shots were taken at the famous Roostertail turn, where the boats enter at approximately 180-190 mph and carve a turn tighter than your average Michigan freeway off ramp. The Detroit river course is unique in that the shape of the river dictates an egg shaped track with the tightest turn in the sport at one end, and the widest/fastest turn at the other.

Sunday saw the last of the preliminary heats as well as the winner take all Gold Cup final. The Oberto/Miss Madison came away with a victory in the final heat, capturing the team's first Gold Cup since 1971. Being in the middle of the preparations and celebration was incredible, and to call it an unforgettable experience is a massive understatement. Additionally, the under funded 21 Al Deeby Dodge boat came in second in the final, finishing ahead of multiple faster boats thanks to great work by both the driver and crew.

Thanks for looking!

Program Coordinator
    very nice!

Thanks Jeremy! Any chance you're going to make it out to the Columbia Cup or Seafair to get some hydro shots of your own this year?