Thread: KLGA Approach Saturday 06/28/14

KLGA Approach Saturday 06/28/14

Greetings,

Does anybody know which runway was in used in the afternoon Saturday 28, 2014 at LGA at around 1700?

Thanks,
    Jose L. Henriquez

I researched this for you. LGA was using an unusual approach that afternoon; maybe Rwy 4/22 was closed. All operations were on Rwy 13. The approach used was ILS 22L circle to land 13. This approach is not listed on the LGA Approach Charts for some reason. They use it when the second runway is closed; the passengers must love the sharp turns and the Rikers guys get a great view of the approaches!

Thank you very much! It makes sense now. I live in The Bronx and I am somehow familiar with regular departure and arrival patterns. But I had never seen that approach before.
    Jose L. Henriquez

I was once on an arrival that used this approach. I was so confused until I realized what we did. Asked the pilot on the way out what that was called and he replied "you liked that, huh?"
    Follow me on Twitter and friend me on Facebook.

From my point of view it looked like so much fun.
    Jose L. Henriquez

Quote Originally Posted by Jhenriquez28 View Post
    From my point of view it looked like so much fun.
    Indeed it was, especially since I wasn't expecting it.
    Follow me on Twitter and friend me on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedbird1 View Post
    The approach used was ILS 22L circle to land 13. This approach is not listed on the LGA Approach Charts for some reason.
    It's not listed that way because there isn't an approach called that. You fly the ILS 22 approach down to circling minimums (see the bottom of the approach plate below), then circle to the appropriate runway. You could fly the ILS on 22, then circle to Rwy 31, or even Rwy 4 if winds or other factors dictate.

http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1407/00289IL22.PDF

Yes, EWR also does this when there is a strong wind from the west; they proceed on the ILS 22L/R approach then circle to land on Rwy 29. I've seen this from the Staten Island Ferry as well. This also is not a formal approach and is unlisted on the charts.

The same approach was used on Saturday 12, 2014.
    Jose L. Henriquez