Thread: PHL 6/18 An-124

PHL 6/18 An-124

I headed over to Philly to get Antonov Design Bureau, UR-82072.

Of course Flightawae was no help in tracking the plane so I looked on FR24 and to my surprise it showed an estimated arrival time about an hour before the scheduled time so I quickly hopped in the car and headed to the airport. As it turned out FR24 was mistaken and by this time Flightaware was tracking the correct position of the plane. One of the few times I've seen a mistake on FR24…

The Antonov's cargo, a Chinook, was already waiting on the ramp.

Some other planes during the day:

Soon to be in Delta colors:

The new colors becoming more common:

One of the newest ERJs for American Eagle.

The first time I knowingly got a US Airways West bird.

BAW67

Some starlings just hanging around.

I was about to head over to WaWa when I noticed a G-III taxing out for departure that looked like it had FAA/USAF paint. On closer inspection I saw it was a C-20 so raced down to get it depart.

It turned out to be USAF, 86-0204, based at Andrews AFB. Not sure why it was in town.

A clown nosed E-170 departing.

I went back to the arrivals but the south side of Hog Island road was so poorly lit that I decided to get some head-on shots:

A G-IV that has an American/Irish flag on the tail.

DLH426

A quick video of Lufthansa:
    https://flic.kr/p/nKVToP

SKV7366 fighting some strong crosswind.

Then finally the Ruslan appeared on the horizon. ADB194F direct from Tel Aviv, Isreal. In town to pick up an ICH-47F for the Italian Army; built by AgustaWestland, licensed by Boeing.

This one, tiny cloud almost blocked the sun but thankfully it past just shy of it.

After the Arrival I went over to Atlantic Aviation to get some ramp shots.

It was very hot that day but its totally worth it, having a giant An-124 fly directly over your head!

Hope you enjoyed!

Great catch and love the head on shot.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Senior Member Aviation.High.Guy's Avatar
    Wow , what a monster that An is. Head on shot makes it look so imposing. Very nice!
    -Don B.

Very nice...and I do like shot with starlings...
    [URL="http://www.airport-data.com/photographers/gbmax:5834/"]My Aircraft Photos[/URL]

Nice job man, the head-on shot of the Ruslan is great! I've gotten the Volga bird landing on 9R and Paul even got the Polet one coming in real early one morning a couple years ago

I remember one time getting a Volga bird landing on 9R in 2009... seeing it load up with two Chinooks, and went out the next day (a Sunday) to get it departing at like 7:30 in the morning. Got it off 27L after the Astrojet departed. Came home only to find out the An-124 was returning to PHL, so I got it flying over my parents' house!

I should be down at PHL all day Sunday. Hope to get Qatar departing through BAW69 arriving... only the second time I'd get BAW69 and of course on July 1 it becomes a 787...

Thanks everyone! I love head on shots and the Ruslan did not disappoint.

There was/are suppose to be a few more An-124s coming to Philly in the next few days.

Thanks Steven for the heads up on equipment change, I almost forgot. Now's the only time of year that it's possible to get a shot of "Speedbird 69"

Definitely grab the Speedbird 767 while you can. Days are already getting shorter. This is from last year's Summer Solstice, ISO 800 @8:32pm:

Nice shots of that Ruslan my friend! My best An-124 moment was when I got an awesome head-on takeoff vid from 27L. It was so loud that it made the camcorder on my phone's audio system malfunction! I still love my shot of the Il-76 when the conditions made it look like I traveled to Russia to spot! I actually fooled my friend with it!

Anyways, one day this week, I will be down at KPHL to get sweet head-ons of the Lufty A346 and get Speedbird's 767 for the last time. Oh well, 787s are coming!

I was out all day on the 22nd... like 9:30 am until 8:30 pm all day (!) and was able to get a bunch of specials as well as Speedbird 69, which came in a little before 8 pm.

Also, Qatar 727/728 becomes a 777-300ER starting July 1 (it could be July 2... but almost positive on the 1st it will be the -300ER).

That's a great picture of flight 69, nice glow from the sunset and the moon!

Quote Originally Posted by TriStatePlaneSpotting View Post
    and get Speedbird's 767 for the last time.
    Don't forget flight 229 to BWI is still a 763.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Holzinger View Post
    Also, Qatar 727/728 becomes a 777-300ER starting July 1 (it could be July 2... but almost positive on the 1st it will be the -300ER).
    That's awesome! Hopefully we'll get the Barcelona and Oneworld specials soon.