Thread: Aerial Photography Advice

Aerial Photography Advice

I'm a photographer and I'd like to try aerial photography. I thought this forum is a great place to get information on this topic.

Not having additional glass in front of you lens is crucial for photography so I was looking for a pilot who will let me open a window to take images. I found a tour company which flies above New York City. They have Cessna 172 Skyhawk and will allow me to take pictures through an opening. But the pilot says that the opening is small, about 3 inches, enough to make photos through it, if the lens is not to big.

I saw photos of people taking images from Skyhawk's windows. Some windows were ajar, enough to shoot with my lens (the opening was more than 3 inches), some were completely open (the pilot probably just doesn't want to open it for me). But I'm not sure, my lens is 3 inches in diameter, so I'm afraid there can be an issue. Please advise.

Also, I'd like to find a pilot who flies for their own enjoyment with a route of their choice, and who doesn't mind a passenger. I need to be able to open a window to take images. Would like to do it several times or maybe on a regular basis - if it is not too expensive. The runway should be close to where I live (somewhere around NYC (Long Island, Staten Island(?) New Jersey(Linden Airport), etc.))

Appreciate any information.

Most 172s' windows hinge upwards, but there is usually an arm that limits how much it opens. I've seen windows with broken arms that allow it to swing all the way up to the wing, but I don't know if there's any way to do that without breaking the arm first. The good news is that there are no speed limits on the window, meaning that it can be opened at any time.

PM me.

Thank you for your reply. I suppose they won't let me brake the arms. Do you know how wide is the opening when stopped by the arm?

P.S. PM sent.

The arm can be unscrewed easily, no need to break it. The window is kept all the way open against the bottom of the wing by airflow.

Welcome to the site, Dima!
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Thank you clear_prop, thank you Phil.

I will ask the pilot if he would do that.