Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scanner at JFK

Scanner at JFK

Hi, I am from Czech rep. and I have questions.
    Is legal use scanner (Uniden UBC-30) at spotting near JFK (The Mounds)?
    Which rwy use usualy widebody to land?
    Thx gabuliatko/Zdenek

Yes, scanner use is legal. Runway use depends on the wind. For 22 arrivals (from the Mounds) most will arrive on 22L in front of you. If they are using 31L/R, you should see a lot arrive on the right side, however the A380 will always use the left side.

Don't get caught with it on in the car if you can ... it is illegal in NYC to use a scanner in a car [while] committing a crime. But most Police Officers confuse this with ANY time in a car. You should not have any trouble but be aware of it so you don't get harassed.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Thank you, is safe walk from/to LIRR station "Locus Manor" to the Mounds (i am 49)?

Quote Originally Posted by gabuliatko View Post
    ....is safe walk from/to LIRR station "Locus Manor" to the Mounds (i am 49)?
    That's a little bit of a walk....I would do the Laurelton station as it is about half the distance to the Mounds if that's your mode of transportation.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

Yes, but my hotel is Howard Johnson at Rockaway Blvd/1371 Ave, I ask if walk is safe in this area or bettter use bus Q6/Q113.

be careful around Rockaway,bus or cab it if you can.
    The beehive hummm of the JT9D and GE CF680C2,the thunder of the JT8D-17,the rumble of the PW1830 and the high ,thin whine of the PW 545A are all music to my ears!

From my Radio Shack Pro-164 manual - about legal scanning:

Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    Yes, scanner use is legal. Runway use depends on the wind. For 22 arrivals (from the Mounds) most will arrive on 22L in front of you. If they are using 31L/R, you should see a lot arrive on the right side, however the A380 will always use the left side.
    I did noticed that lately a lot of heavies go on 22R too. Let's say even yesterday afternoon: Qantas 747, Emirates 777, Iberia A340, Egypt 777, Virgin Atlantic 747, KLM 747, Norwegian 787 - all went to 22R.

Quote Originally Posted by 727C47 View Post
    be careful around Rockaway,bus or cab it if you can.
    I wouldn't go there at nite, but in a sunny day - I don't think, there could be any danger.
    [URL="http://www.airport-data.com/photographers/gbmax:5834/"]My Aircraft Photos[/URL]

The rules carrying a scanner in your car are probably like the rules on taking pictures of planes at airports!! Every LEO has a different interpretation!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    The rules carrying a scanner in your car are probably like the rules on taking pictures of planes at airports!! Every LEO has a different interpretation!!
    Carying - using scanner in your car is like having iPhone in your car - an electronic device that can get you 5 points on you driver licence.
    [URL="http://www.airport-data.com/photographers/gbmax:5834/"]My Aircraft Photos[/URL]

I leave my car in Prague. :( I prefer walk or take bus.
    I ask, is somewhere timetable 4 engines widebody? How many 747 and 380 (circa) landed afternoon and how many at morning?

New York State Vehicle and Traffic Law
    Section 397
    The following is the complete text of section 397 of the New York State vehicle and traffic law. This section governs the use of mobile scanners in motor vehicles. Following the statute is a brief summary of the case law relevant to this section.
    397. EQUIPPING MOTOR VEHICLES WITH RADIO RECEIVING SETS CAPABLE OF RECEIVING SIGNALS ON THE FREQUENCIES ALLOCATED FOR POLICE USE.
    A person, not a police officer or peace officer, acting pursuant to his special duties, who equips a motor vehicle with a radio receiving set capable of receiving signals on the frequencies allocated for police use or knowingly uses a motor vehicle so equipped or who in any way knowingly interferes with the transmission of radio messages by the police without having first secured a permit to do so from the person authorized to issue such a permit by the local governing body or board of the city, town or village in which such person resides, or where such person resides outside of a city, or village in a county having a county police department by the board of supervisors of such county, is guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by a fine not exceeding one thousand dollars, or imprisonment not exceeding six months, or both. Nothing in this section contained shall be construed to apply to any person who holds a valid amateur radio operator's license issued by the federal communications commission and who operates a duly licensed portable mobile transmitter and in connection therewith a receiver or receiving set on frequencies exclusively allocated by the federal communications commission to duly licensed radio amateurs.

Annotated Case Law 1. Constitutionality.
    • People v. McGee, 1978, 97 Misc.2d 360, 411 N.Y.S.2d 514.
    • Ruled that section 397 is constitutional and not a preemption of an act of Congress.

2. Legal Purpose.
    • People v. McGee, op. cit.

Stated that the rationale for the statute was to prevent criminals from monitoring police broadcasts in their automobiles, prior to or after the commission of a crime. It further stated that the statue protects police radios from jamming and other interference.
    3. Definition of Radio Receivers.
    • People v. Moore, 1978, 92 Misc.2d 807, 401 N.Y.S.2d 440.
    • People v. Faude, 1976, 88 Misc.2d 434, 388 N.Y.S.2d 562.

These two cases established that radar detectors used to avoid police speed traps were not radio receivers because they could not translate the radar signals into a comprehensible form.
    • People v. Verdino, 1974 78 Misc.2d 719, 357 N.Y.S.2d 769.

This critical case established that the statue applies to any radio that is capable of receiving police signals whether or not the radio was actually being operated. In this case Verdino was caught with a scanner that operated from the cigarette lighter but was not plugged in at the time he was stopped. The court ruled that the radio was still "capable" of receiving signals thus making it illegal.
    4. Issuance of Permits.
    • 1975, Op.Atty.Gen (Inf.) 311.
    The Attorney General issued an opinion that county boards can designate a person to issue permits only in counties that have a county police department established by a county charter.
    5. Confiscated Equipment.
    • 1976, Op.Atty.Gen. (Inf.) 255.

The Attorney General issued the opinion that a confiscated radio is not contraband and must be returned to the individual in original condition even if that person has been convicted under section 397.
    Passengers should NEVER leave babies in an infant carrier while it goes through the X-ray machine"
    --TSA.GOV website

First off you really can't walk from Rockaway & 137 to the mounds easily. It is a few miles.

Second its it's not the kind of area you should walk through carrying a camera bag.

Third even vent he walk from the LIRR to the mounds is also a hike but not as long. But again it's not an area you want to walk through with cameras and equipment.

Buses are not the greatest, the safest move is a cab.

Fourth realize that that even though you are just spotting and doing nothing wrong, if NYPD stops you or question you that they will be extra diligent since you are not a citizen, carrying a scanner and camera equipment.
    http://fredkopf.smugmug.com

Quote Originally Posted by fk6065 View Post
    First off you really can't walk from Rockaway & 137 to the mounds easily. It is a few miles.

Second its it's not the kind of area you should walk through carrying a camera bag.

Third even vent he walk from the LIRR to the mounds is also a hike but not as long. But again it's not an area you want to walk through with cameras and equipment.

Buses are not the greatest, the safest move is a cab.

Fourth realize that that even though you are just spotting and doing nothing wrong, if NYPD stops you or question you that they will be extra diligent since you are not a citizen, carrying a scanner and camera equipment.
    I don't think it's a need to dramatize surroundings of JFK for fellow spotters from other countries.
    Past saturday I went to Bayswaters Park for spotting. I met there a guy - fellow spotter from UK. Bayswater Park is a well known spot that's not so friendly to aircraft spotters by NYPD - I've been hand-cuffed there.
    At other spotting locations - NYPD are very friendy - they do know what a people do there with a cameras. In fact, they're annoyed by people, who call police if these paranoids see guys with cameras - it's common(to me) at Costco's.
    Mounds cops are as friendly....
    For 4R arrivals in later afternoon, Beach 69th Street is a very good spot...A very beautiful view of JFK from that spot. NYPD cops drove by a couple of times, never even stopped.Fishermen there...even last sunday guys from JFK - they had badges on, came for fishing in their lunchtime....

And for spotters out of town/country - it's cheaper to rent a car than a get around in a taxi cab...Especially, when there are switch of runaways...
    And, this coming summer, I think, there will be even more guys that a year before - this hobby is picking up very fast ...

I think, JFK is pretty friendly and safe for spotting.