Thread: Two heavily modified S-92/H-92 overflight

Two heavily modified S-92/H-92 overflight

Greetings, These Modified S-92/H92s flew over my house around 8:53am heading South West bound. I only had enough time to get the 2 crap shot. Does anyone have any idea who they will be delivered to? I was only able to pull the TEMPORARY reg (in yellow) off the side of the second one (N8021H) They look to be Canadian Air Force or USAF grey. I know the USAF is interested in the type the CAF is going to be getting them. They appear to have a tail rotor hinge. I wonder if they are carrier based USMC or USN Carrier bound.

Senga
    Last edited by SengaB; 2014-05-08 at 08:57 AM.

Senga, Those are CH-148 (based on the S/H-92 airframe, built for the Canadian Navy) birds most likely making the trek from West Palm Beach up to New Foundland. They carry the US reg on them until they get to Canada. And you are correct, as they do have a folding tail for when they are stored in the hangar at sea and also when performing tail rotor maintenance.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

Thanks for the info Steve,

I had a feeling they were CAF probably. I wish they had the CAF marking on them. Maybe next time I will be more prepared to get some shots.

Senga

Senga where did you see them? Not to be too nosy about where you live. A couple of years ago I was at Tobay Beach (east of Jones) and two Seahawks flew by pretty low already in Brazilian Navy markings!! I was thinking they were coming from the Stratford Sikorsky plant heading south along the shoreline.

I always keep a look out for overflights. A few moments later a US Army UH-72A flew in the opposite direction. Did you get any pictures of the BAF Seahawks? Several yeas ago we had a Egyptian Air Force CH-47 fly over the airport out of the blue at KMIV. Senga
    Last edited by SengaB; 2014-05-18 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SengaB View Post
    Hi Gerard, They flew from New Rochelle, Pelham, Bronxville, Mount Vernon then into Yonkers. Its major route for helicopters. I always keep a look out for overflights. A few moments later a US Army UH-72A flew in the opposite direction. Did you get any pictures of the BAF Seahawks? Several yeas ago we had a Egyptian Air Force CH-47 fly over the airport out of the blue at KMIV. Senga
    Thanks Senga. And no, no photos!! Just got to my car when I heard them approaching! Did have my binocs with me and got a nice look at their livery!!
    Would they actually fly them from Florida to Canada? And you said they were SW bound. Cool catch though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    .... Would they actually fly them from Florida to Canada? And you said they were SW bound. Cool catch though.
    I realized the direction Senga said they were travelling after I typed my response....thinking maybe they may have done a flight up to the coast to the stratford plant and were headed back to West Palm or Pennsylvania.....but yes, they have been known to fly them from West Palm to Canada....the first few were flown up to Canada for their delivery, so it wouldn't be too far fetched that the rest did the same.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net