Thread: KLCK - 25/APR/2014

KLCK - 25/APR/2014

Finally got to LCK today. Cathay has been operating this flight for almost 2 months or so now, unfortunately, between bad weather, working ~1h10 from LCK, the flight usually coming in at rush hour, and having a somewhat unpredictable work schedule, I had not been able to go. This morning the weather was awful, and the forecast said it was still going to be awful, but I tossed my gear in the truck just in case, since I figured that if I left it at home then it was going to be sunny and I'd be out of the office by 5.Approximate times

Sometime in the afternoon: leave work: ETA 1822. CX094 ETA 1837 (scheduled 1850)

1750: get to an interchange in Columbus that is notorious for traffic jams.

After a combination of good luck and bad luck, arrived to the spotting location with a few minutes to spare. Decide to cut through surface streets to avoid it. New ETA 1828.

1820: Almost there

1824: Arrive to the location, only to realize that I went full Christopher Columbus and I’m on the other side of the airport. Frantically search through maps, and head back. New ETA: 1843. My adrenaline is pumping.

1837: Enroute. No radio chatter.

1842: Arrive to the correct location. I did not prepare correctly so I’m left with no comms (radio is mounted to my truck).

1847: Check Flightaware, new ETA 1849.

1848: The roar of those 4 GEnx engines is heard. The plane is here.

1849: Head home, victoriously.

So at this point I've photographed 1 747-8, this one, twice, today, and back in 2012 when I had a layover in Houston.

It seems that most everyone on this site will only go to the airports (JFK, MIA, LAX, SYD etc) that are saturated with all kinds of interesting Traffic. But it's AWESOME to see someone here who'll drive over an hour to shoot one plane. Congratulations on the catch! She's a beautiful plane and you did her justice.