Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KGYR or "It's the end of the WORLD as we know it"

KGYR or "It's the end of the WORLD as we know it"

Managed to catch the last WORLD MD-11 flight.

They have moved all their MD-11 to the desert. Here is N271WA arriving in Goodyear AZ.

4. Sister ship N273WA

5. North American B767-300

The boneyard at Goodyear is filling up! I still need to walk the fence line to get all the retirements.

jeremy in AZ
    Last edited by JDANDO; 2014-04-08 at 04:46 PM. Reason: I cannot tell a -200 from a -300
    Jeremy in Minnesota

My pictures on jp.net

So very sad to see these birds retire

Wow, and they sure didn't waste anytime getting to work on N727WA I watched it on a flight tracker and ti made it way from BWI. Senga

Quote Originally Posted by JDANDO View Post
    Managed to catch the last WORLD MD-11 flight.

The boneyard at Goodyear is filling up! I still need to walk the fence line to get all the retirements.
    Nice but sad shots. Ditto about the fenceline, that's on the list for my next trip, hopefully in June.

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Missed you by a month Jeremy. Did the fence line myself. Go to Red Robin awesome burgers!
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Just a word of caution...a security guard called the police on me when I was at the fenceline last week. Probably the same one who I gave a friendly wave to. By the time the police arrived, I had already taken most of the pictures I wanted. The police ran my ID and told me I wouldn't be cited for trespassing, but he would just ask me to leave. He mentioned knowing the fenceline was popular with European spotters, but that they had recently had someone cut through the fence and get in, so the airport was on heightened alert. The officer was polite and professional, which was a nice change.
    General Photography - Website | Instagram
    PlaneCaptures - Website | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69 View Post
    Missed you by a month Jeremy. Did the fence line myself. Go to Red Robin awesome burgers!
    Is Red Robin one of those places not found East of something? I haven't bothered to check. I'd just go to the In-n-out on Dysart and I-10.

Cary,

Is the fenceline technically on private property or something (I have driven by GYR many times, but I've never stopped to get shots).
    My experience (after living in AZ for 5 years) is that when it comes to planespotting, the police is quite professional and reasonable (seen this at PHX and PRC), and other people with "authority" are not (private security at PHX over Christmas season, some manager's minion at the city-owned Prescott golf course, right across the street from the runway)

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31
    Quote Originally Posted by felipegcmh View Post
    Is Red Robin one of those places not found East of something
    There are a handful (<5) in New Jersey and on Long Island, but much fewer than in the rest of the country.

I heard the officer actually ask the dispatcher who owned the land outside of the fence. I believe it was the city of Phoenix, but I may have misheard.

Is Red Robin one of those places not found East of something? I haven't bothered to check. I'd just go to the In-n-out on Dysart and I-10.

Cary,

Is the fenceline technically on private property or something (I have driven by GYR many times, but I've never stopped to get shots).
    My experience (after living in AZ for 5 years) is that when it comes to planespotting, the police is quite professional and reasonable (seen this at PHX and PRC), and other people with "authority" are not (private security at PHX over Christmas season, some manager's minion at the city-owned Prescott golf course, right across the street from the runway)
    General Photography - Website | Instagram
    PlaneCaptures - Website | Instagram

Oh ok. I know that the fence is not behind any fences, but I suppose it could still be owned by the city and just not marked.

Mateo, I see. One of the things I realized when I moved to Ohio is how regional some hamburger chains are. Other than In-n-out (of which I have experienced withdrawals ever since I left AZ), Carl's Jr. is not found east of Oklahoma (I think it's Oklahoma), it's called Hardee's and the menu is different (I got some blank stares in Springfield, OH, when I asked for crisscut fries, I guess Hardee's only has curly fries). I had never been to a White Castle (and the one in Marysville left me disappointed, and I don't know why the hype, I should go to a different location), and Wendy's is headquarted in Dublin, OH, so all the Wendys in Dublin are amazing (funny, but if you're driving NW on OH-161, there's a sign that says "Welcome to Dublin, home of Wendy's", and if you look up, you'll see the Wendy's HQ right there).

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    We have them in NY but the one I went to sucked the one in GYR has the best burgers.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

First re GYR and its residents would love to see shots if anybody goes of two of it's newest residents former Piedmont/US 767-200's N245AY and N246AY which both arrived in GYR for lease return in March.

Now as far as Red Robin and its Burgers I am a big fan and they have recently opened two new ones in popular NYC area malls. Palisades Center in Nanuet, NY just over the Tappan Zee off 1-87 and in Bergen Town Center on Route 4 in Paramus, NJ which is only about 10 minutes west of the George Washington Bridge.

Cheers

LGA777

All this burger talk has got me hungry!

We only hit In and Out while in AZ. Got to take my son and he polished off a Double Double no problem. Ah to be young and have a metabolism the works!

Here are a couple of quick edits, excuse the radioactive godzilla sized dust bunny

1. N246AY from the fence line

2. N245AY from the air

3. It is a jigsaw puzzle during storage expansion

4. A full ramp with grading of an expansion happening on the western end

With respect to spotting on the fence line I spoke with both the Goodyear PD and Airport Operations prior to heading out. Both were very accommodating and said have a good time. Airport Ops did mention they have had an issue and had increased security.
    Jeremy in Minnesota

My pictures on jp.net

Jeremy not only AWESOME shots of GYR in general but especially of the two former US 767's. As I started my US career at Piedmont I flew on both those birds many times including on N603P/N645US/N245AY not only her first day in regular scheduled service (June 15, 1987) but even about 10 days earlier on a crew familiarization flight from TPA-CLT. So I have followed her career closely and while I will be very happy if she finds another operator the combination of being at GYR and her age and cycles I know that is probably not going to happen. Thanks again for sharing the shots.

Cheers

LGA777

I'll be that guy and say that the NAA plane is a -300. They never had -200s. :(

Crazy seeing a plane I've been on so many times sitting in the desert like that.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].