Thread: JFK Spotting

Smile JFK Spotting

I am flying into JFK on April rd arriving at 1030. I have a room booked at the new Holiday Inn at Brookville Blvd. I am hoping to get a room the overlooks the airport, but if not where would the best location go spot the aircraft from please. I would be walking as I would not have a car.

Has anybody checked out this new Holiday Inn there yet?

Thank you

What day are you flying to JFK? Personally, I would not go spotting at JFK without renting a car. The locations are spread out and JFK isn't always steady with its runway useage and will switch runways whenever it feels like it and then you will be left trying to grab public transportation to get you to the other spots. Take a look at the spotters guide here http://www.nycaviation.com/spotting-guides/jfk/ to see the locations.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

Steve you are right but he's probably in the best spot he can be in with no car- locations for 31R, 13L, and 22L are within walking distance(although 13L is a bit of a hike and walking Brookville Rd to get to the Mounds is treacherous). Heck, he might not even have to leave the hotel to get nice 22L morning arrivals(04R departures for that matter)

When the building that the new hotel has replaced was still standing I always wondered what the views of the field from its roof were like. I guess if the OP posts some shots from the hotel we will find out soon(hint hint)

Depends, where's your room? Facing east or west. No airplane side shots from windows - better to take a walk to Panera or Costco locations - prolly 5-10 minutes walking distance from that hotel. Not good light in the morning - airplane would be tail-lit...Arrivals on 22L - would be a little too far(not sure if it would be further to departures @ Hobo - 13R) - good light in the morning...

However...If it would be a sunny day and if I could take a day off from my work...I could join you...you can pm.... just in case...
    [URL="http://www.airport-data.com/photographers/gbmax:5834/"]My Aircraft Photos[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by megatop412 View Post
    Steve you are right but he's probably in the best spot he can be in with no car- locations for 31R, 13L, and 22L are within walking distance(although 13L is a bit of a hike and walking Brookville Rd to get to the Mounds is treacherous). Heck, he might not even have to leave the hotel to get nice 22L morning arrivals(04R departures for that matter)
    Yes, you're right william, I was mainly trying to make light of how much of a pain it could be when runways change.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

JetPhotos.net

I haven't stayed at the new Holiday Inn, but I can tell you this …. get a room on the top floor, facing west (preferably in the Southwest corner of the building). If JFK is using 31R for arrivals, you can easily walk to Costco or Panera (but be careful crossing the streets). As far as 22L morning arrivals you may be able to shot from your hotel window. As Steve mentioned, check out the spotting guide, and having a rental car definitely would help.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

I arrive on April 3rd from CMH. I am hoping for a high room overlooking the field. This is a new hotel so hoping for early check in and a great room. Hoping to get the Jet Blue I need and a few AA A321's. Leaving the next day LH401 hopefully the A380 flight. Guide is a great help and thank you all.

Thank you I would be happy to have company.

Quote Originally Posted by boeing727 View Post
    Thank you I would be happy to have company.
    If the weather is nice, I'm sure you will see some of the "regulars" out and about.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

JetPhotos.net