Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oasis of the Seas 3/1-3/8

Oasis of the Seas 3/1-3/8

This past week marked my first real vacation since acquiring the D7100, which provided a huge upgrade from what I had been able to use aboard ships in the past. In addition to the "new" body and existing lens collection, I had access to my new Tamron 70-200 VC along in addition to my girlfriend's new Tokina 11-16 II. The fast/sharp glass allowed me (us) to get shots I never could before, or at least providing a whole new way to shoot them.

This trip turned out to be the best documented of my life, and the past few days time have been roughly equally divided between re-acclimating to the god awful weather here in Michigan, classes, and copious amounts of time staring at Photoshop with the results of the latter being displayed in the posts below.

Of course there will be more aviation pictures coming sooner or later, but for now I've focused on the ship/family pictures as I'm working on a "deadline" to deliver shots to the parents.

Enjoy, and feel free to leave any comments/suggestions!

The cockpit of our ride to Fort Lauderdale, AC5078, a Delta 757-300.

HAL Westerdam docked opposite of Royal Caribbean's Liberty of the Seas in Port Everglades.

Westerdam departing

Ruby Princess departing

Oasis maneuvering out of the port and heading away from the setting sun

The Tokina proved to be an excellent and fun way to take some night shots up on deck.

The starboard side beach pool

Royal Caribbean's take on Central Park

One of the numerous fountain shows in the Aquatheatre, featuring the deepest pool at sea (18 feet)

Oasis resting alongside the pier at RC's private destination: Labadee, Haiti

A very highly downsized "gigapan" type image (30 or so frames) shot with the 70-200 that brought my computer to its knees for a decent chunk of time. I am still impressed and shocked by the detail and sharpness at full size and can't wait to print this one off for display.

More late night fun with the 11-16.

An HDR view of the aft sun bowl, Central Park, the Viking Crown, and the aft Centrum.

For reference, this shot was taken less than 100 feet behind the ship... which is approximately 180 feet tall and 184 feet wide at the stern. I quickly fell in love with the versatility of the UWA perspective.

Up on deck with the UWA in Cozumel.

Continuing my girlfriend and I's tradition of getting pictures of LEGO Minifigs in relevant locations worldwide, in this case, on the starboard Flowrider surf simulator during a brief afternoon shutdown.

A handful of shots from the shore in Cozumel... still disappointed the sun did not cooperate for long enough to get a descent panorama of the ships in full light.

I don't want to admit how long I waited for the perfect gust of wind to blow that palm tree away from the ship's name long enough to get that shot.

Last edited by captmjk16; 2014-03-12 at 11:58 PM.

And finally the obligatory Caribbean sunset/golden hour shots

Followed by some really different shooting that I definitely never could do before. Believe it or not, most of these were hand held (braced against railings of course) on a somewhat windy evening from just above the nav bridge.

Thanks for looking!

Thanks for sharing those great photos !!!

You should post those on http://my.pinkfroot.com/
    [URL="http://www.airport-data.com/photographers/gbmax:5834/"]My Aircraft Photos[/URL]

Senior Member Aviation.High.Guy's Avatar
    What a great trip and pics. Makes me wanna go cruising!
    -Don B.

Great shots Captmjk16! I especially like the night shots. Having been on that ship, it brings back some memories...

Thanks for sharing...

Thanks for the kind words guys! It sure was an awesome trip and Oasis is one heck of a ship for sure! I've been on my fair share of cruises and it's led me to chose ship design as my career, so needless to say I enjoy it a fair bit.

Mark

Senior Member Fighting_falcon_51's Avatar
    I know this is a little late but that is a beautiful ship and those are some beautiful pictures!

Are you a naval arch?
    http://www.kjpgallery.com << Photography Collection
    http://www.nyasinfo.com << Jones Beach Airshow Information (Updates continue in November)

Program Coordinator
    Unreal how big it is...great shots!

Mike, I've never had any desire to take a cruise......until now!! Your shots definitely have me wanting to book a trip on the Oasis. Well done Sir!
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

Great set, love those moon shots! Allure (Sister ship of Oasis) was the BEST cruise I've been on. Out of all 5 different ships that I've boarded, she has the most going on and is one of the most impressive feats of the twenty-first century IMO! Of course I took the trip that Stopped at TNCM...Which was an added bonus! I highly recommend taking a cruise on either Oasis or Allure of the seas, you won't be disappointed!
    Probably the youngest spotter ever to walk up the face of the mounds.
    Jared B. -Boces Aviation Ops Student, Jericho NY

Sorry I've been a bit absent, thanks for all the feedback guys!

Kenneth- I'm a NavArch and Marine Engineer in training (for about 2 more days, almost time to graduate and move out into the "real world") at the University of Michigan.

Jeremy- I think that's what she said! (Thank you)

Steve- Trust me, you would not regret it, best vacation ever (and a great value) in my opinion, especially those eastern itineraries that provide a day at TNCM like Jared said!

Jared- I've been on Oasis and Allure (and a bunch of RCCL's other ships), they're certainly the most impressive from an engineering and entertainment perspective, not to mention the photography opportunities they provide! Glad you like the moon shots too! The amount of eye rolls I got from my girlfriend for the number of attempts (and distances ran to fetch appropriate gear) it took to get it right seem worth it in the end!

As a side note, I just received an aluminum print from Adoramapix of the shot of the wake/aft of the ship at sunset and am in love with it!

Senior Member Fighting_falcon_51's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by captmjk16 View Post
    Sorry I've been a bit absent, thanks for all the feedback guys!

Kenneth- I'm a NavArch and Marine Engineer in training (for about 2 more days, almost time to graduate and move out into the "real world") at the University of Michigan.

Jeremy- I think that's what she said! (Thank you)

Steve- Trust me, you would not regret it, best vacation ever (and a great value) in my opinion, especially those eastern itineraries that provide a day at TNCM like Jared said!

Jared- I've been on Oasis and Allure (and a bunch of RCCL's other ships), they're certainly the most impressive from an engineering and entertainment perspective, not to mention the photography opportunities they provide! Glad you like the moon shots too! The amount of eye rolls I got from my girlfriend for the number of attempts (and distances ran to fetch appropriate gear) it took to get it right seem worth it in the end!

As a side note, I just received an aluminum print from Adoramapix of the shot of the wake/aft of the ship at sunset and am in love with it!
    Congratulations on your achievement and good luck out there!!! I know a couple of Naval Archs and Marine Engineers at my school (NY Maritime) and that stuff ain't easy, which is why I went deck side lol.
    http://www.kjpgallery.com << Photography Collection
    http://www.nyasinfo.com << Jones Beach Airshow Information (Updates continue in November)