Thread: Why no BA Super Jumbo to JFK ?

Why no BA Super Jumbo to JFK ?

I was unable to visit LAX last fall to see the British A388 Super Jumbo from London. Any news if BA will commence service to JFK? In my estimate, there could be 3 possible reasons for the delay: 1) T7 at JFK has no facility to handle an A388 at this time 2) BA does not have enough A388s' for this service yet 3) the passenger load would not be profitable as BA already has maybe 6 or 7 regular flights/day to JFK. Any thoughts?

Just rumors/speculations about A380 LHR-JFK http://a380flights.net/
    [URL="http://www.airport-data.com/photographers/gbmax:5834/"]My Aircraft Photos[/URL]

Wow, hope it's true. Thanks for sharing.

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31
    There are probably a couple of positions at T7 that could handle a 380, but it may block an adjacent gate. T7 has single jetbridges, though, and while you can load a Super through a single door, it takes a very long time. The biggest issue is that it goes against BA's operational philosophy. Whereas they only fly 2x to Los Angeles and could use the extra capacity, especially in the premium cabins, NYC-LHR is so lucrative and so competitive that it's run as a business route competing on frequency. BA would rather run more flights on smaller aircraft to get to the same capacity to increase the chances of a passenger saying "I want to fly at X time," and it's BA and not DL or VS who are offering the flight at that time.

to add to Mateo, Between BA and AA they basically run a shuttle service between JFK-LHR with 12 flights a day between the 2 airlines, and I am sure on an average Tuesday in March none of the flights are full, but for the business traveler, paying full fare, the convenience is offered.
    Overheard on JFK TOWER - S Turns are fine, U-Turns are bad....

I think(correct, if I'm wrong) most BA flights to JFK are 747 which is not that much smaller that A380.
    [URL="http://www.airport-data.com/photographers/gbmax:5834/"]My Aircraft Photos[/URL]

Many of those flights have been switched to the more economical B777 so the arrival of the A388 might be years off!

Currently its an even mix 4 747's and 4 777's plus the 2 A318's
    Overheard on JFK TOWER - S Turns are fine, U-Turns are bad....