Thread: Crosswind Landings: Not As Scary As They May Seem

Post Crosswind Landings: Not As Scary As They May Seem

NYCAviation:
    Crosswind Landings: Not As Scary As They May Seem

Crosswind landings may look dramatic or even unsafe. In reality, they are being performed by highly skilled pilots in a constantly changing environment. NYCAviation columnist David Williams examines various crosswind techniques and a couple recent videos of commercial aircraft landing in a crosswind.
    [Click to Read Full Article]

Very good article, nice reading.

It's amazing, how this Thai A380 did land - how strong landing gear has to be:

Thanks,
    Gintaras
    [URL="http://www.airport-data.com/photographers/gbmax:5834/"]My Aircraft Photos[/URL]

I have done 35 knots direct in the DC3, over 40 direct in the 727,and 747, it is a wonderful challenge,certainly not unsafe !!!
    The beehive hummm of the JT9D and GE CF680C2,the thunder of the JT8D-17,the rumble of the PW1830 and the high ,thin whine of the PW 545A are all music to my ears!

Agreed. My landings always seem to be better/smoother when there's a crosswind than when winds are calm!

Gusting 35 direct is my record in a PA-16, PA-28R, and the EMB-145. The Aviat Husky I found to be horrible in crosswinds, but when they are strong you can just land across the runway.

Love crosswinds in the jet - the drag from the cross-control creates a very predictable deceleration in the flare.

There's a reason we learn the wing low, or crab technique early on in or flying careers. Nothing to be afraid of, manage the airplane, and you'll be fine.