Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: The UN General Assembly 2014

Wappingers Falls, New York, United States
    I'll be around all day Saturday and Sunday, and most of the day Wednesday. I may be out Friday evening, but that is TBD. The rest of the week is going to depend on a few factors.
    Ben Granucci, Wappingers Falls, NY
    NYCAviation Senior Editor & Director
    On Twitter @blgranucci
    More photos on Flickr
    [email protected]

Headed to NYC this Wednesday - Friday morning. I doubt any UN stuff will show up, but I've been surprised before.

UPDATE:

WHO'S SHOOTING WHEN:
    Saturday, September 20
    ANITIX87 - all day with friend
    MSN007 - conditional on weather forecast
    NIKV69 - sunset
    sdspinelli2 - all day
    mldoc - all day

Sunday, September 21
    ANITIX87 - all day
    Delta777LR - all day
    MSN007 - per forecast
    NIKV69 - sunset
    sdspinelli2 - all day
    mldoc - all day

Monday, September 22
    NIKV69 - all day
    Antonis Panayotatos
    Owner, Photographer
    www.stellaryear.com

Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7DMkII: Canon 24-70L USM II, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 85mm f/1.4ART, Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 DG OS HSM

When do most of the planes arrive? I am hoping to catch some IL action as well as some 727s and 707s!

Planning to arrive at NYC next Friday night and stay until Monday night. Full spotting all days, unless it is raining cat and dogs :)

Cheers!

BF

Quote Originally Posted by TriStatePlaneSpotting View Post
    When do most of the planes arrive? I am hoping to catch some IL action as well as some 727s and 707s!
    Typically heavy action the weekend before main event, so this coming weekend. But you can never tell. Planes come and go 24x7 for the next three weeks, impossible to predict anything other than AF-1
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

So I had my first dream about UNGA spotting last week. UN Week vibe now officially in my blood.

I am not going to be so foolish so as to mention what I am hoping to see. Instead, I offer the following prayer:

"Oh, mighty and powerful spotting gods
    Behold, your humble supplicants are gathered before thee
    Incline thine ear to our prayer.
    Such that, you see fit to bestow upon us
    A veritable bounty of exotic registrations, liveries, and most importantly, types
    To make this year's General Assembly
    A cornucopia of crazy-a** airplanes
    And an avoidance of that damn 13L/22L split
    We beseech thee! To bathe in the light of the Super Bowl of Plane Spotting
    So that we may dwell in the house of Kennedy Airport(and Stewart Airport for the parked aircraft), forever and ever"

Amen, brothers

See you on Saturday

I definitely will be as anti-social as I need to be when hunting or gathering. Besides we can hang out whenever you like as long as it is not UN Week. One needs to track and pay close attention to the radio. One missed handoff can be the difference between 31R and 31L and from Costco to Inwood can be a quick uneventful swing and a 15 minute expletive laced failure (been there done that)

(and yes, I will still give you a big ol hug, just don't be pissed when I ignore you the rest of the day not personal)

[THIS POST WAS MODIFIED BY MODERATORS -PD]
    Last edited by PhilDernerJr; 2014-09-19 at 09:46 AM.
    Manny Gonzalez

I'm going to try and get out there for one day this weekend. Not sure if that will be Friday or Saturday though.

I was there on a random Thursday last UN Week (don't judge me) shooting on 13L and only caught an Abu Dhabi Amiri 77L. Will the traffic be available on LiveATC and would you rather stand by The Mounds runway or The hotel runway (I'm confused!)

Len, I am geared toward Saturday just so you know.

As Manny stated "One needs to track and pay close attention to the radio." Having a radio or listening to LiveATC will be helpful. The key thing is to stay focused and listen. Happy UNGA hunting!

William ... Amen to that prayer!!!!
    Last edited by Zee71; 2014-09-16 at 06:42 AM.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Quote Originally Posted by TriStatePlaneSpotting View Post
    I was there on a random Thursday last UN Week (don't judge me) shooting on 13L and only caught an Abu Dhabi Amiri 77L. Will the traffic be available on LiveATC and would you rather stand by The Mounds runway or The hotel runway (I'm confused!)

Len, I am geared toward Saturday just so you know.
    LiveATC will be OK but remember to reduce the buffer in settings to have less delay. Typically LiveATC is 3-5 seconds behind. That can be the difference in missing a catch if you have to re-locate.

The pattern at JFK will change with the winds if they are strong enough but sometimes commands come from higher up in Washington because of the broader EWR/JFK/TEB/PHN/FRG congestion (as told to a pilot by the tower some time ago after a pilot got upset they had to land in poor crosswind conditions). There is no rhyme or reason but, they usually like 22/13 split in the afternoon and 4/31 in the morning during September.

Having a scanner with a headset and paying attention is the best way to catch all the action and to [contribute] back to the community. The more ears on more frequencies the better.
    Last edited by gonzalu; 2014-09-16 at 09:24 AM.
    Manny Gonzalez

Ditto to what Manny says! In addition, if you do miss an arrival you should be able to catch the departure, since JFK doesn't have the room to accommodate and park all UN visitors. They typically are in and out, the PANYNJ allows them 2 hours before they need to relocate the aircraft to another airfield. I think I've made a contribution.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Hope to see you out there Len!
    Quote Originally Posted by Len90 View Post
    I'm going to try and get out there for one day this weekend. Not sure if that will be Friday or Saturday though.

Most of us locals, the ones that care about actually photographing planes of all types, wait all year for this special two week period. We are out almost every weekend and sometimes during the week. MOST of the time I see absolutely NO ONE, I am all by myself NOT by choice. All of a sudden, during the most sought after time of the year for us, throngs of spotters descent on JFK to also enjoy UN Week. All I ask is to respect and consider what others enjoy about the hobby, whatever that may be. I welcome everyone and hope anyone who I am not so frendly with understands that it is not personal, I am just concentrating on the radio chatter and trackers.

Usually, when traffic is on 31's or 22's or 13's is when I am most unfriendly and abrupt since we have a lot of challenges to move to another location.

The 4s offer us all the opportunity to just hang out and relax and chew the fat since there is no option... you're stuck with what you got!

Finally, respecting spotting locations is a must. If you follow a local spotter and he/she leads you into a location that is sensitive, DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT go and throw a party! This happened a few times last year and it nearly ruined a few locations we like to reserve for special moments. If you're in a public park, by all means do as you wish, but in sensitive areas, keep a very low key and follow the lead of the locals.

I am known to be the big mouth when it comes to expressing my opinion and for that I take full credit even if it means I lose a few friends in the process. I know lots of folks that keep these feelings a secret so I know I am not alone in what I am saying. If anyone really knows me, you know you can count on me to be very generous and friendly... but please, UN Week is very serious for serious spotters, all I ask is a little respect of such and not to read too much into it. Come hang out with us on a lazy boring Sunday and you will get a much better perspective of what we are really like
    Last edited by PhilDernerJr; 2014-09-22 at 03:52 PM.
    Manny Gonzalez