Thread: A388 Runway Requirements

A388 Runway Requirements

I apologize if this has been asked before although I did a search for an answer. On my trips out to JFK, the A388 always arrives on the runways with the 200' width, either 13R/31L or 4R/22L. Can the aircraft arrive on the other runways with the 150' width as well? I understand that there is an FAA rule stating that if the runway width is less than 200', then there must be a 40' shoulder on each side of the runway. If true, is this rule strictly adhered to or is it just an advisory? When can the A388 use the other, shorter-width runways? I seem to recall that when the 31's were closed for snow removal, the A388 departed from 22R, which has the shorter width. Just curious.

Speedbird, I think it has more to do with not having enough clearance from some antennas that are too close to the runways at JFK the A380 is not able to use, rather than the width of the runway itself. At least that's what I think I remembered reading here

I think, A380 never lands on 31R, only 31L and I took video Emirates A380 departing from 4L:

[URL="http://www.airport-data.com/photographers/gbmax:5834/"]My Aircraft Photos[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by megatop412 View Post
    Speedbird, I think it has more to do with not having enough clearance from some antennas that are too close to the runways at JFK the A380 is not able to use, rather than the width of the runway itself. At least that's what I think I remembered reading here
    Correct. The A380 can't land 31R due to the 13L ILS antenna obstructing a taxiway that would be needed to exit the runway. It won't be moved any time soon.
    Follow me on Twitter and friend me on Facebook.

Wow, a 36-page document just about the A380 @ JFK! So when are we gonna see the FedEx version around these parts(or Quantas for that matter).

Happy reading, Speedbird!

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31
    The A380 landed 13L a couple of weeks ago during bad weather when the ILS 13L was active, but a few days later when 31R was the only available runway due to snow removal, a pair of 380s had to divert to Toronto, so it can go one way, but not the other. The other runways are OK - I've departed 31L on the super, and have landed on both 4L and 22L.

Quote Originally Posted by megatop412 View Post
    Wow, a 36-page document just about the A380 @ JFK! So when are we gonna see the FedEx version around these parts(or Quantas for that matter).

Happy reading, Speedbird!
    Forget about FedEx, Qantas only to LAX...

according to http://a380flights.net/, @ JFK we may could see:
    - Lufthansa - they'll resume A380 flights to JFK. In 2012, I myself was on 2 Lufthansa A380 flights.
    - China Southern
    - British Airways
    [URL="http://www.airport-data.com/photographers/gbmax:5834/"]My Aircraft Photos[/URL]

Thanks for the feedback. In its heyday, I recall hearing a BA Concorde depart from Rwy. 4L which at that time was a no-no due to noise restrictions. I live in Sheepshead Bay and my windows rattled a bit. I also seem to remember that Concordes were not allowed to depart JFK after 2200 local for the same reason.

I was seeing Concorde often when I lived in Valley Stream in 96-2000, it was flying very close where I lived(close to Southern State Pkwy) and was VERY loud.
    Too bad they don't fly anymore, the photos of Concorde I have - the one that's on Intrepid.
    A380 are very quite airplane. When I flew on 1st time, my seat was next to wing/engines - was very quite. When @ work(in Mineola) I go outside, sometimes I don't see airplane yet, just hear a sound of engines and get very surprised when I see - it's A380.

p.s.: You live in very nice area. I do like Sheepshead Bay very much, lots of nice restaurants there.