Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joint-Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst 2014 Open House

Joint-Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst 2014 Open House

May 10th and 11th; headlined by the USAF Thunderbirds:

http://www.jointbasemdl.af.mil/news/...p?id=123373563

2/9/2013 - JOINT BASE MCGUIRE-DIX-LAKEHURST, N.J. -- Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst is set to open its doors to the community May 10-11, 2014 for an open house and air show.

Headlining the 2014 Open House and Air Show will be the U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds.

The Department of Defense hosts open houses to enhance public awareness of the military's mission, equipment, facilities and personnel and to promote positive community relations.

"This open house provides an opportunity for the surrounding community to experience and learn more about the military capabilities of our joint base," said Lt. Col. Philip Lynch, 2014 Open House and Air Show Director.

Community members throughout the tri-state area will have an opportunity to take a closer look at the joint base's operational capabilities and total-force integration.

The last Open House and Air Show hosted by JB MDL was in May 2012.

Contact the Joint Base Public Affairs Office at 754-2104 visit www.jointbasemdl.af.mil for more information.

Cha-ching!

Now if only we were able to take photos from the other side of the field...

Sadly, for photography, this show is not worth it except for the statics. Otherwise it is not a bad show as they usually bring in the BONE which is a pleasure to see. Last show the demo was flown by a woman!! She was down by the one they had on static and man she was hot. The rest of the crew were men and they were kissing her ass...
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

McGuire is one place I wish had a better runway configuration. It is not conducive for photos one way or another and of course the sun is pretty much on top of you all day long. As Manny said, the last show they had a B-1 flying in the show and that was a real treat. Since it is now JB MDL, you have a whole slew of Marine units based there and in the last show there was also a MAGTF demonstration.

Since I have seen some military shows advertise military demos from the locally based units (for example, Luke is advertising an F-16 close air support demo), I'd expect to see Team McGuire flying one of each heavy, maybe a C-17 airdrop demo, and hopefully a MAGTF demo again. Static displays at previous McGuire shows have been very solid but I think this year will be different there. Here's hoping for a good lineup!

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    Sadly, for photography, this show is not worth it except for the statics. Otherwise it is not a bad show as they usually bring in the BONE which is a pleasure to see. Last show the demo was flown by a woman!! She was down by the one they had on static and man she was hot. The rest of the crew were men and they were kissing her ass...
    Manny the girl who was part of the E-3 Sentry crew at the 2008 show would have given your Bone driver a run for her money. And like an idiot I only got a shot of the flight deck instead of her. Chatted her up though

And it COULD be a great show if they didn't do the KC-10 flybys at 800 feet and straight and level and in front of the Sun

The Performers line-up and Static Displays have been updated on the Air Show's website

Performers:

Headliner: U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds

U.S. ARMY GOLDEN KNIGHTS

GOULIAN AEROSPORTS

GEICO SKYTYPERS

ANDREW MCKENNA

RAIDERS FLIGHT DEMO TEAM "FLYING W"

JELLY BELLY & KENT PIETSCH

THIRD STRIKE WINGWALKER

RC CLUB DEMO

SPITFIRE SOLO

P-51D MUSTANG SOLO

P-51 & SPITFIRE DUEL DEMO

USAF HERITAGE FLIGHT (F-16 & P-51)

JB MDL FLYBY (C-17, KC-10, KC-135)

Static Displays:

B-52, C-5, C-17, E-3B, F-16, KC-10, KC-135, T-1, T-6, T-38

Senior Member Fighting_falcon_51's Avatar
    Seems like a solid line-up!
    http://www.kjpgallery.com << Photography Collection
    http://www.nyasinfo.com << Jones Beach Airshow Information (Updates continue in November)

RC Club demo???? Who'd have thought a show could get something worse than the Farmingdale St Cessnas??? Haha!
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

Quote Originally Posted by steve1840 View Post
    RC Club demo???? Who'd have thought a show could get something worse than the Farmingdale St Cessnas??? Haha!
    It's McGuire... their "announcer" in 2000 called the Thunderbirds' engine run as them having T-38s...

Quote Originally Posted by steve1840 View Post
    Actually the RC Club Demo might be better than the Farmingdale St Cessnas, especially if they're flying RC Jets that go about 200 mph !!

How was the show today? Dont think weather cooperated with lots of clouds and lines of T-Storms moving around the area after 2PM. Yesterday for practice run must not have been much better with rain and fog. Tomorrow should be MUCH better with sunny skies and 80 or so. Went to this show once when my two boys were pretty young, back in the 90s!! Great show, hazy sun and caught a boatload of "bleep" from my wife when we got home!! Hazy sun = two sunburned young kids!! Not terrible but bad enough!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    How was the show today? Dont think weather cooperated with lots of clouds and lines of T-Storms moving around the area after 2PM. Yesterday for practice run must not have been much better with rain and fog. Tomorrow should be MUCH better with sunny skies and 80 or so. Went to this show once when my two boys were pretty young, back in the 90s!! Great show, hazy sun and caught a boatload of "bleep" from my wife when we got home!! Hazy sun = two sunburned young kids!! Not terrible but bad enough!!

I had a great day at the show up until the last 15 minutes or so. Pictures tomorrow.
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

The weather actually was a lot better than originally forecast. Some sun but mainly high overcast clouds until mid-afternoon with gusty winds but no rain until the end of the show. About 2PM a line of storms looked like it was going to move in, but stayed just north of the field. Thunderbirds flew their low show today, and I think were able to complete their whole show (or most of it) before the storms moved in; I left to get out of there before the rain started. Might be some cool pictures of the Heritage Demo/Thunderbirds with dark storm clouds as the backdrop.

As far as the air acts went, I think the highlights were the Thunderbirds, Heritage Flight (F16 and P51) and the Geico Skytypers (and of course the KC10 flyover)

As far as crowds: not a huge turnout today, probably due to the weather forecast. Traffic was no issue. Tomorrow's weather is supposed to be much nicer, so I'd expect a much bigger turnout.
    Last edited by USAF Pilot 07; 2014-05-10 at 10:35 PM.

It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture