Thread: InsideTour of the E-4B NAOC Doomsday Plane

InsideTour of the E-4B NAOC Doomsday Plane

A terrific detailed look at the inside of one of the most obscure airplanes in the world.

Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Why they kept the spiral staircase and not the upper deck lounge is beyond me. I think the only thing I'd feel like doing after blowing the world up is drinking myself into oblivion

I don't understand, why there's a sign entering Verezano brigde: "No photography or video allowed", while video of E-4B NAOC airplane is on youtube.
    And who does know, that this airplane E-4B NAOC is more secure than Germany's government jet used by Chancellor Angela Merkel
    [URL="http://www.airport-data.com/photographers/gbmax:5834/"]My Aircraft Photos[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by megatop412 View Post
    Why they kept the spiral staircase and not the upper deck lounge is beyond me. I think the only thing I'd feel like doing after blowing the world up is drinking myself into oblivion
    I've heard all those tables with the large computers and equipment on them turn upside down into craps and blackjack tables along with fully stocked bars!

Interesting video. I got a tour of the E-4B back around 1986 or 1987. They would pull alert at Grissom AFB somewhat regularly, depending on where POTUS happened to be. Their alert facility was down at the opposite end of the runway from our main alert facility, and one day they invited some of us tanker alert troops to take a look around. From what I remember, it looked pretty much the same as you saw in the video.

Quote Originally Posted by Gintaras B. View Post
    I don't understand, why there's a sign entering Verezano brigde: "No photography or video allowed", while video of E-4B NAOC airplane is on youtube.
    When you get down to it, the airplane is nothing more than a big communications station. Yes, it has facilities for POTUS, SecDef, or other National Command Authority, and it carries a variety of officers on the battle staff, but the whole purpose of the airplane is so that those people can stay in constant communications with assets around the world. There are no secret laser weapons, and while there might be some secret squirrel comm gear, with everything powered down, you would have no idea what any of that stuff does. It's a couple of conference rooms, a bunch of workstations, a ton of electronics boxes, all in a 40 year old 747.

And who does know, that this airplane E-4B NAOC is more secure than Germany's government jet used by Chancellor Angela Merkel
    You won't get anywhere near an E-4B without being invited. Air Force Security Police guard the aircraft, especially the alert bird...and they take the phrase "Use of Deadly Force Authorized" quite seriously.

That's because this plane is completely obsolete by now. It has been replaced with a drone far more capable and controlled from Nellis AFB. Indeed this gives even more meaning to what William wanted... Once the world is blown up, a 10 minute ride into Las Vegas will make for a much better after party.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS