Thread: Strange Atlas Air 747 taxi pattern at JFK a few weeks ago

Strange Atlas Air 747 taxi pattern at JFK a few weeks ago

A few weeks ago, I landed on JFK Runway 13L. An Atlas Air 747 landed on 22L about a minute later. While we taxied to T2, I saw the Atlas Air 747 continue on from 22L all the way to 13R and line up for take-off. He didn't stop to unload cargo, refuel or anything. If this was a touch and go, it was the longest touch I have ever seen. Why would he land, taxi to the departing runway and then take-off without stopping? And he eventually took off about 15-20 minutes later. Any suggestions as to why this would happen? Haven't seen anything like this before in all my years of airport spotting.

You sure it wasn't a different Altlas Cargo? Did you record the registration? They park right near 13R departure threshold so it could likely be a different one that took off.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

If you do know date and approx.time, you can lookup on planefinder.net - use "playback" and you'll find out, was it same or different airplane.

------------
    If same airplane, most likely, pilot noticed that he landed in wrong airport and soon after took-off to fly to his destination airport...
    Last edited by Gintaras B.; 2013-12-23 at 05:19 PM.
    [URL="http://www.airport-data.com/photographers/gbmax:5834/"]My Aircraft Photos[/URL]

Thanks for the responses. It was Dec. 1st at around 3PM. The Atlas Air landed about a minute later. Didn't get the registration or anything. I took a video of my flight landing and of the Atlas Air landing after, but the quality is too poor to get the registration.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    You sure it wasn't a different Altlas Cargo? Did you record the registration? They park right near 13R departure threshold so it could likely be a different one that took off.
    Yep, that's got to be it:

N459MC operating as PAC243 landed on runway 22L at around 3pm and 30 minutes later N419MC operating as QFA7554 taxied by the same area for a runway 13R departure.

On a side note you landed about the same time as a Mexican Air Force 733 and Dubai Air Wing 738 landed.

Sounds like what I said... total coinkidink
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

You definitely saw those two aircraft, not the same one. Interesting side note, that was the last time you will likely see an Atlas BCF, sadly they have all been parked now.

noticed this too with an Air China Cargo 747