Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blue Angels Flyby Friday

I was at the marina outside World Financial Center. I thought the Blue Angels would follow FAA rules to fly down the Hudson on the Jersey side, then up the Hudson on the NY side. This would allow me to shoot them with Jersey City skyline in the background. But they flew up and down the Hudson on the NY side, which caused my pictures to be back lit. Anyways, here are 2 photos from me.

Senior Member Aviation.High.Guy's Avatar
    Here are some of my shots from Liberty State Pk today. Man, it was cold out there but you couldn't ask for better light.

Last edited by Aviation.High.Guy; 2013-12-13 at 11:31 PM.
    -Don B.

Don that last picture....WOW!!!!!! Beautiful!!!!!

Oh man great pictures, great videos!!
    Mid December, bitter cold, snow on the ground and we got local Blue Angel action!!
    ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!!!!!

You hammered this Don, exceptional job!

Thank you Gerard and Rom!
    Last edited by Aviation.High.Guy; 2013-12-13 at 11:32 PM.
    -Don B.

Question guys, on my last shot in the set (the one showing more tower). If I were to submit to Anet or JP do you think I should crop in even tighter?
    I kinda like that you see more of the tower, but not sure with this one if the motive shot gets lost.
    -Don B.

Quote Originally Posted by Aviation.High.Guy View Post
    I kinda like that you see more of the tower, .
    Me too! Screw them if they dont like it!! GREAT picture!!

WOW !!! INCREDIBLE shots, Don !! AWESOME JOB !!!
    Glad you decided to go to Liberty State Park even though it was cold and windy !!
    BTW, you should send those shots to the Blues Angels PAO also because I think they
    might want to use some of your shots for their 2014 Yearbook possibly !!

Amazed (really shouldnt be) of the negative comments I read about this Flyby on a number of Facebook pages where a picture was put up and the comments section of a few newspapers. Oh you get the usual "Waste of fuel and resources" comments but the ones from people writing they were "scared" seeing the pictures, it was "Disrespectful" "it made my heart jump" "the people in the area must have been terrified", "very eerie seeing planes that close", "creepy" made me realize many people still have a heightened sense of dread from that day and probably aviation in general!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    Amazed (really shouldnt be) of the negative comments I read about this Flyby on a number of Facebook pages where a picture was put up and the comments section of a few newspapers. Oh you get the usual "Waste of fuel and resources" comments but the ones from people writing they were "scared" seeing the pictures, it was "Disrespectful" "it made my heart jump" "the people in the area must have been terrified", "very eerie seeing planes that close", "creepy" made me realize many people still have a heightened sense of dread from that day and probably aviation in general!!
    We can thank the media and the 'if you see something say something' campaign for that

Don those shots are killer. I would leave the last one AS IS and let them figure it out for themselves. If it was the same shot with the Red Arrows flying past Big Ben I'm sure it would get accepted
    Last edited by megatop412; 2013-12-14 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S View Post
    BTW, the Blues are scheduled to do a flyover for the Army-Navy game in Philly on Sat. also, weather permitting
    Going to be close!! Flurries and ceiling coming down

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    Going to be close!! Flurries and ceiling coming down
    Angels AND Apaches both flew!! Not much coverage on CBS though!! They showed a tight shot of the Angels in formation when Navy took the field but didnt even identify them. When Army came out they had another tight shot but they got an ID as Apaches!!

Yeah, I was surprised they actually flew because the ceiling was maybe 1000 ft. with light snow !!
    Anyway, even though the flyover TV coverage wasn't that good it was still great to see the Apaches
    and Blue Angels, aka "Snow Angels" today, were still able to do the flyovers for the Army-Navy game !!
    Here's a video of it also:

Last edited by Chris S; 2013-12-14 at 04:39 PM.

Don - those shots are superb. Don't do anything to that last image - it is pretty much perfect as is. If A.net decide not to accept it as is, it speaks volumes as to their lack of understanding as to what the true aviation enthusiast wants to see

Cheers

Trevor