Thread: SFO and IAH Spotting Tips

SFO and IAH Spotting Tips

Hey guys, my travels this spring to Palm Springs, CA route me through IAH on the way there and SFO on the way back. I have 3 hours in IAH and 4 in SFO, and was wondering if you guys had any tips for in-terminal spotting at either one. If you've been to either and know of some good spots, let me know. Also, I know about the airtrain at SFO and know there are some nice views to be had. Has anyone shot from there. If so, what stations, and could I go out and back through security in that 4 hour time frame? Thanks guys!!

IAH, take the terminal connector to terminal C. In that upper waiting area, you get a nice view of the north side of the field. The windows are fairly clean and you can get some nice shots there. I spent about an hour there with no bothers from anyone, however, I was only shooting with a 17-85 lens, I didn't have the bazooka with me at the time. There are other opportunities to be had in the UAL Terminal, at the end of the fingers, as well.

I've only been through the Int'l terminal at SFO, and with HUGE windows you can shoot the ramp from everywhere, it's just a matter of where the sun is, your options may be limited.

I don't have any pics up from IAH, but these two are from SFO...both shot with a Nikon Coolpix P7700

HL7756 - Asiana Airlines - Boeing 777-200ER by lijk604, on Flickr

JA706J - Japan Air Lines - Boeing 777-200ER by lijk604, on Flickr

Thanks man! Nice shots too. I will definitely be checking that spot out at IAH, however I don't think I will be at the international terminal at SFO unfortunately.

Here's everything you could possibly want to know about spotting in Houston: http://www.houstonspotters.net/resou...AirportID=KIAH

Since you have three hours, I'd suggest leaving the secure area and going to one of the garages. If traffic is landing to the west go to Terminal C/D garage and if it's landing to the east go to the Terminal A garage. You need to go to one of the top two levels at either location. The garages are one of the spots that require you to inform HAS (Houston Airport System) security before spotting or taking photos there. Call in to security either when you get there, or shortly before. Their phone number is 281-230-1300. They receive many "plane spotting check-in" calls daily so don't feel awkward calling them.

If you can get out in a car, Rankin Road spot is open again. Afternoon departures from 15L/R are just butter from here...

Here are a couple from a nearby spotting location called Aviator's Pub while Rankin Rd was closed off.

Created by Airliners.net BBCode Generator
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Hey Manny

Thanks for the response. I don't think I will have time to go in and out of security as I will have to switch terminals, so I think I may just stay inside the airport. Anyone know anything about SFO?

At SFO, also only inside terminal? If not, take the Air Train to the Car Rental facility. Get off at he stop just prior and shoot from the top of the staircase from the platform down to the street. Great spot!
    Manny Gonzalez

I may have time to go outside security at SFO because I have 4 hours. I'll look into that spot!

West Field Road... here is a good overview of where it is...

Manny Gonzalez

Didn't really want to leave the airport, was sorta wondering about the AirTrain and if anyone had ridden it. Will I be able to get back through security in time, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by deltaA330 View Post
    Hey Manny

Thanks for the response. I don't think I will have time to go in and out of security as I will have to switch terminals, so I think I may just stay inside the airport. Anyone know anything about SFO?
    Unless you're doing an international connection, 3 hours will leave you with 2 of spotting and 1 for security (that's my regular estimate, 1 hour, 90 minutes if it looks packed). Houston isn't too bad for terminal switches. C-E are within walking distance (although an extreme to extreme could easily be 15-20 minutes, I suspect), A-B require you to board the "train" at C and then a walk. IAH happens to have both an airside and a landside train to move, and the checkpoints at B are normally pretty empty (B is used only for UA Express).

When I contacted HAS back in 2009 regarding spotting, they told me of the approved locations (the garages) and the phone number to contact them, it's usually a quick and painless call, they ask where you're planning on being, until when, what are you driving/wearing, name and phone number. The dispatchers normally know this is fairly common (at least in my experience) and don't ask anything outside of those standard questions. Sometimes I've been asked to call again when switching garages (and the call was something like "my name is Felipe Garcia, I called in a few hours ago about taking photos, and I'm now at Garage N until X PM).

Normally I planned for 5 hours or so at IAH, when inbound from Mexico, estimating 2 hours for clearing FIS, 1 for security and 2 for spotting, and any spare time (in those rare times that clearing the FIS was a 15 minute deal -yes, it did happen a few times), or anything over 5 hours was a bonus.

Sounds good Felipe! Perhaps it would be a good idea to take some time to go to the garage and shoot. Thanks all, but I still am gathering info on SFO, particularly the AirTrain.

Quote Originally Posted by deltaA330 View Post
    Thanks man! Nice shots too. I will definitely be checking that spot out at IAH, however I don't think I will be at the international terminal at SFO unfortunately.
    Assuming you are on United, you can go from SFO Terminal 3 (United domestic) to the International Terminal G wing without exiting the secure zone.

Thanks man!! I'll be sure to check that out then.