Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Jones Beach Airshow

Quote Originally Posted by Zee71 View Post
    Nice shoots gents! Should be an awesome day for those out today at the beach or field.
    Yes great pictures!! Heading out in a little while for a beach day!! Hey, are the Blues leaving after the show or staying overnight? Thanks all and have a GREAT DAY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Tim #70 View Post
    Bill,

when end shooting fast movers, use apature priority. When shooting props, shoot shutter priority (around 250 or slower).

as far as exact settings, I can't help you a lot there. Jones Beach is a tough place to shoot because you're pretty much shooting directly into the sun all day. Your best bet is to move around during the day and try to position yourself for the least backlighting possible, but you're not going to eliminate it.

basically, trial and error.
    Thanks Tim!

Today, I will be at Jones. Yesterday, I was at the airport. I took over 400 shots on full manual yesterday, and am only happy with less than a dozen of them, LOL. I think today I'll be on aperture priority, with a REALLY high setting like 16, ISO 200, and just let the camera figure out the rest on it's own :). The day is too important to screw around ;) I think I'll shoot a few on the "sports" setting too, just to be double sure :)

Bill
    Last edited by Billbo1970; 2014-05-25 at 07:20 AM.

The Angels REALLY kicked out the jams for todays show!! The beautiful weather allowed them to perform at their maximum and they did not disappoint!!!
    Great show all around though another military jet would have been nice.
    That Screaming Sasquatch is amazing!! Everyone thinking oh here we go again another Bi-plane, then.........THUNDER!!!! That was so cool!!
    Geico Skytypers always have a great performance and the race with the Geico Speedboat and two of the planes was a crowd favorite where I was.
    Really enjoyed the Osprey!! Had seen it a few times before but never like this!! And it struck me that right after the Osprey, a futuristic hybrid of plane and helicopter we are taken back into the past by the next act, the Warbirds!! With great FlyBys from numerous aircraft including the B- 17 who actually dropped some "bombs" into the water!!
    Wonderful day at the beach!!

Rumor is Blue Angels leave around 5:00pm today
    http://fredkopf.smugmug.com

Shooting at the beach was really tough today. I think I escaped with a large pile of crap quite frankly. We'll see. Saw Mark and Don and met Isaac at the end of 14 yesterday at Saturday. Was great to see them and we got to enjoy the burner light ups before launch and some great views of the blues on final. That will make up for the underwhelming photos I ended up with I think today. Enjoy the rest of Memorial Day weekend. The shots I've seen from you guys so far have been great to see!

Senior Member Aviation.High.Guy's Avatar
    Here's first shot of the weekend that I just had to process. Will post more shortly. Great seeing everybody out there- friends old and new!

-Don B.

Great pics everyone, a few of mine from today.

​

Here are some of my shots from around FRG this weekend. It was great to meet up with some old friends and meet some new ones...

Isaac

Quote Originally Posted by Aviation.High.Guy View Post
    Here's first shot of the weekend that I just had to process. Will post more shortly. Great seeing everybody out there- friends old and new!

That's a Great photo...and Don, nice meeting you today....
    [URL="http://www.airport-data.com/photographers/gbmax:5834/"]My Aircraft Photos[/URL]

I've spent a half a day @ Republic...didn't get any good shots...maybe because it was my 1st time at event like this. Some (maybe will add some more after reviewing again) of mine crappy pics from today, 5/25:

[URL="http://www.airport-data.com/photographers/gbmax:5834/"]My Aircraft Photos[/URL]

Sunday at the Airpower Museum and environs.

So the Osprey came by for a Fly over? When they finished at Jones Beach I saw them head in that direction, then they came back to the beach and flew out to the south along the shoreline.

Quote Originally Posted by fk6065 View Post
    Rumor is Blue Angels leave around 5:00pm today
    Yes I wasnt positive but I remember the Blues leaving after the show and the TBirds the next day. I was going to go after leaving Jones Beach but had a BBQ to go to and, well you know, priorities rule. Food and drinks win out!!

Excellent photos, Don, Greg, Moose and everyone else. Outstanding stuff. Very jealous. I may have to finally make a lens investment or two. Your photos are brilliant!

some of mine from the beach yesterday

It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture