Thread: SHD and CLT 11/19,22 [IMG Heavy]

SHD and CLT 11/19,22 [IMG Heavy]

11/19

On the way down to visit family in South Carolina I had the pleasure of spending a bit of time spotting at both Shenandoah Valley Regional (SHD) and Charlotte.

First up was SHD, just off route 81. It’s a beautiful airport that my dad and I recently discovered in the middle of the Shenandoah Valley.

One of many King Airs owned by Dynamic Aviation. You’re almost guaranteed to see one of their planes if you visit SHD.
    The cows defiantly add a special atmosphere while spotting here…

Nice and shiny Cessna Citation, N7CH sitting on the apron.

SHD also has an ever-changing storage area, this time however there was an unpleasant surprise.
    The axe man was hard at work dismantling the MD-80, LV-BOR. N769DA tries to ignore the morbid sight.

Running a bit behind schedule we hopped back on 81.

We arrived at Charlotte with just enough light to get a few photos…

US786 departing runway 36C for LAX in front of the US Airways heavy maintenance hangar.

A classic 737 departing.

Soon to be one…

My first time seeing an American A319, looks pretty cool.

A Piedmont DH8 climbing out of 36C.

A CRJ turning back around after going around on runway 36C because of a slow company CRJ rotation.

Overview of terminal A as seen from the overlook.

US792 departing to Vegas just before the sun diapered behind some low clouds.

Then a cardinal was spotted in the branches.

Happy to finally get an up-close photo of the Cardinals logojet.

The beautiful light bouncing off the clouds at sunset.

Taken half-an-hour after sunset while in some crazy Charlotte traffic.

11/20

Not a great capture but I spotted Michael Jordan's G-IV, N236MJ while at my aunt’s house.

11/22

On the way back north I spotted a United Star Alliance 777, N77022 en-route to Houston.

When we stopped back at SHD the clouds had filled the sky.

The first sight was the unfortunate MD-80…
    With a Dynamic King Air, N48A and ex. Air Canada DC-9, N897JM.

Ex. JAL, N769DA with the number two engine removed.

Fall doesn't do the beauty of SHD justice...

A nice Learjet was taxing out for departure…

...and departed from runway 23.

Just as we were going to leave a Lancair Columbia arrived.

Apron overview:

Hope you enjoyed…

You got the Cardinals!! I've been trying for 7 years here and haven't seen it. Great set!
    Adam Sheinhaus

Nice work! I've driven through that way a few times on I-81, I'll have to stop at SHD one of these trips. Any hassles shooting around the airport?

Quote Originally Posted by adscram14 View Post
    You got the Cardinals!! I've been trying for 7 years here and haven't seen it. Great set!
    Thanks! I was really happy to finally catch that "western bird". My whole time spotting and living near PHL I only saw it once before, departing way in the distance.

Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    Nice work! I've driven through that way a few times on I-81, I'll have to stop at SHD one of these trips. Any hassles shooting around the airport?
    Thanks moose!
    SHD is extremely friendly in my experience. When I was there the nicest TSA agent came out and pet my dog for a while as we chatted about different dog breeds. In the past a few of the ramp workers came out and we discussed aviation photography which was also their favorite hobby. Other times I got an invitation for their local flying school and smiles or waves from just about everybody walking by, even to police.

Neat little set from SHD. Never been over there to shoot but have known of the mini-boneyard/scrapping operation they have going on there. I had always wanted to take the Frontier flight to Orlando when it was operating last year but never got around to it. -- Looks like SHD has some potential for afternoon sun.

Oh, and congrats on the DASH shot! Beautiful bird always worth a snap.