Thread: Farewell to Smiley Jack?

Farewell to Smiley Jack?

I read somewhere, if true, this week that the retro US Airways aircraft are getting re-painted. No more Smiley Jack and no more US Airways at Kids Day or anywhere else. So sad, but probably true. I hope I saved my US Airways in-flight magazine; it's a collector's item. Recently Continental, now US Airways. What will be next? Even airliners partially subsidized by their governments are not exempt, remember Olympic Airways, and many others?

I don't think there is any truth to that. N742PS is in-flight right now, and has not taken a break from scheduled service. It would be highly unlikely that US Air would repaint anything just before the AA merger closes.
    http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N742PS
    Follow me on Twitter and friend me on Facebook.

Expect the Star Alliance birds to be repainted first. After that, it's anyone's guess as to what happens, especially with the retro colors.

It's doubtful that AAL will keep the retro liveries after the merge. So like I said, it's unlikely that fans will see PSA Smiley Jack at next years' Kids Day.

But remember what is happening with this merger - yes, they are keeping the American Airlines name, but much of US Airways senior management will remain in place at the new airline.

if american airlines were going to have a full line of retro paint, that would have to include Reno and TWA.

and i don't see them ever doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by stratoduck View Post
    if american airlines were going to have a full line of retro paint, that would have to include Reno and TWA.

and i don't see them ever doing that.
    I hope they never tarnish the memory of that great airline by putting a retro TWA scheme on an airplane with AA titles...

I made it a priority to catch all the retros before they get repainted. I chased PSA for a couple years, then caught it twice in one month

I still have all 4 Star birds, Allegheny, Piedmont and Panthers missing. I really hope they start sending them to CMH when I can go.

I really hope Parker can make the decision to keep the retros.

I am missing both American West retros, and seeing as they really don't make it out east much, I'm not hopeful.
    Follow me on Twitter and friend me on Facebook.

I also have never seen the retro America West liveries in NYC. I have seen Piedmont, Panthers (not really retro) and Allegheny and of course we've seen PSA at Kids' Day.