Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transiting JFK-A Question

Transiting JFK-A Question

Hey Guys,

Question for you. I am trying to book my airfare for my semester in Sydney, and am looking at flight options. The one I want (because I'd get tof inally fly on a 747 :) ) leaves we with 2 hours to connect from an American Eagle flight from DCA to QF108 to SYD, via LAX. Is that sufficient time in your experience, or would I risk missing my flight (obviously not an acceptable risk).

Cheers,

Nick

If you're on time, it should be fine. But you must be at the airport on time. It takes about 15 minutes from your gate anywhere in T8 to the security checkpoint at T7 if taking air train. That should leave you penty of time to get through security. Flights start to board about 40 minutes before departure.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

allow additional time!!
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31
    2 hours is fine for the JFK portion, assuming your inbound is on time.

Thanks for the input guys. Having never flown a 747 before, I think I am gonna give it a go! Not many options would let me chalk up 2 747 segments in one trip, let alone a 747 from JFK to LAX.

Enjoy Nick! -400 or -400ER? I think I remember reading they had both

Quote Originally Posted by Delta777LR View Post
    allow additional time!!
    I would advice the same: "Better to be safe than be sorry", additional hour or two isn't worth your nerves when you're late....
    To miss international flight - isn't same like to miss some local flight...plus weather.
    On international flights, you can see huge lines of people @JFK before security check point.
    I live about 15 minutes from JFK and I call a cab 3 hours before flight, just in case there's a traffic on Belt Pkwy...

How do you plan to go back from Sydney? Would you want to experience A380 going back home? In case, you weren't on A380.

I've been on both and would choose A380 over B747 without any thinking....

And I hope you'll enjoy Qantas B747 flight.
    [URL="http://www.airport-data.com/photographers/gbmax:5834/"]My Aircraft Photos[/URL]

Thanks William! It seems that the JFK flight sees both 400s and 400ERs roughly interspersed. I think some part of me wants a plain 400 just to hear those 4 RB211's on takeoff.

As for booking a longer layover...I don't really have the option. As I am booking with a student travel agency, the number of options I have are particularly limited. It was either a 2 hour layover or a 1 hour layover, so I decided to go for the longer one for obvious reasons.

Gintaras, there is certainly a good chance that I could catch the A380 coming back. Truthfully, it was the cheapest option heading out there, but I decided that $2.50 more was a justified expense to fly a 747 for the first time. The 380 will be around for ages to come!

So... I have another question. How would be the easiest way to travel from Terminal 8 to Terminal 7? I will be coming in on American Eagle, and leaving on Qantas. I believe there is a train... but that the terminals are not inter-connected in any way. Seeing as this is my first time really traversing JFK, I could appreciate any guidance you might be able to give.

Nick

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31
    Yep; use the train. Follow signs to AirTrain, then get on the INNER loop (the one further from the terminal), the direction board will be marked "all airline terminals." Do not get on a train that says Howard Beach or Jamaica.

Note that the train is landside, so you'll have to go through security again in T7, but your checked bags will go through. There's no airside connection.

Right on, that train is definitely the way to go

Awesome, thank you both! From my googling, the train is free between the terminals, correct? You only have to pay if/when you get off at Howard Beach of Jamaica. yes?

That's correct, Nick. There is no charge for the AirTrain around the terminal loop.

Thanks guys! I just found out that my connection may be a bit tighter than I at first expected, as my flight was ineligible for online check in, and I will have to also make a stop at the Qantas desk to get my 2nd boarding pass, but I really appreciate it. Hopefully everything works out and I don't find myself stranded at JFK...

Well I am sitting here at gate 9 in terminal 7. Inbound flight got in 30 minutes early, and contrary to my expectations I waltzed through security in no time, and the airtrain was pretty darn speedy too! So thank y'all for the guidance, it really helped.

I'll be sure to post from Sydney :)