Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Well, didn't think that hobby can be so dangerous

Good I am glad you got advise from your lady friend.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Manny,

I want to cool down and get as many advises as possible...Then, I'll think, what to do next...
    She did work for Internal Affairs many years and she does know something...But I do also listen to you guys too...

I don't want myself to get into situation like I got on saturday again, neither I want anyone of you get into similar situation...

As in russian expression: "Утро вечера мудренее" - "morning brings counsel", "tomorrow is a new day" or "take counsel of one's pillow"....
    [URL="http://www.airport-data.com/photographers/gbmax:5834/"]My Aircraft Photos[/URL]

The most ridiculous thing I ever heard from the cops while spotting(and from PAPD no less): "We have your information. You can expect a visit from us or the FBI if anything like TWA 800 happens around here." A few months later, Swissair 111 crashed and I sh*t my pants thinking they would really be coming to at least interrogate me. That was the worst I was ever intimidated, and I swore to never let it happen again.

Gintaras, you have a cooler head than me if you can let this slide without filing a complaint. You are a model of restraint that I could never achieve. You should at least ask your friend in internal affairs if she thinks the officers that arrested you should go without reprimand. There need to be consequences for folks who abuse the powers entrusted to them.

I agree with William on that part Gintaras. at least u were able to talk to someone about the problem. As for you, and i would say to anyone, dont be afraid to go spotting from Bayswater again, there is really nothing to worry about, often times, it's normal that encounters happen, and we do know our rights. And as you mentioned about getting sort of badges showing we r from NYCA, that was talked about some time ago. not easy. We are just local spotters, if or whenever you get approach by NYPD, PAPD, NCPD etc always be straight honest of what you are doing. Yes some of us will take it that we can have a bad day because of an encounter, some have been in that category before. But hey, always keep the chin up and dont let those kind of things ruin the whole day, theres always tomorrow, theres always the next day and so on. In many ways that I think about it, we should be on the good side to the fact that many officers are pretty much understanding our hobby. surely but slowly, but things have been improving very well. Never let an encounter make you feel the world is gonna end.
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

Quote Originally Posted by megatop412 View Post
    There need to be consequences for folks who abuse the powers entrusted to them.
    I just want to cool down and look at all possible options how to go...
    She doesn't work anymore at internal affairs because of pension, but she would give me some advices...

There should be consequences for folks, who entrusted people that got powers...Do you, people care who do you vote for?

Or do you think, Gintaras will solve all the problems?

Maybe I shouldn't have shared this to others...just to keep for myself..as a bad memories...
    [URL="http://www.airport-data.com/photographers/gbmax:5834/"]My Aircraft Photos[/URL]

Wappingers Falls, New York, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Gintaras B. View Post
    Or do you think, Gintaras will solve all the problems?

Maybe I shouldn't have shared this to others...just to keep for myself..as a bad memories...
    No one person will be able to solve all of these problems themselves, it must be done as a team effort. That means that any of us who run into a situation like this needs to follow up on it. Like Manny said, its not something that somebody else can do for you. It has to be followed up on by the person that was affected by it. That followup will, however, benefit the group as a whole. At any rate, you should follow up with the precinct because the officers involved crossed a well defined line with regards to when they are legally allowed to detain somebody in this manner.

I appreciate you sharing your experiences here. It really is valuable to the community as a whole to know when things like this happen.
    Ben Granucci, Wappingers Falls, NY
    NYCAviation Senior Editor & Director
    On Twitter @blgranucci
    More photos on Flickr
    [email protected]

ID cards is an idea that gets brought up a lot, but it has two issues. One is that no airport would consider our ID cards to be of an value or proof that the person is a good guy. We would need to pay for background checks for each member, and even then, if that person decided to become bad or do something bad (not even terror related, but any crime), then it puts the entire organization at a liability.

The best bet is an Airport Watch program, which has been set in place in a couple cities around the US (PHX, ORD). This is not an option in NYC, as PANYNJ simply has no interest (I've been trying for many years).
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Can I just show them my Global Entry card? Surely that federal background check and interview would suffice!
    Follow me on Twitter and friend me on Facebook.

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31
    AHAHAHAHAHA. Thanks for the laugh!

Check the forums....this has been mentioned, discussed, contemplated, and beaten to a bloody pulp using trophy tuna over the years.
    Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
    AHAHAHAHAHA. Thanks for the laugh!
    I get your point, except in my world, people don't get a pass for their idiot behaviors.

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Quote Originally Posted by threeholerglory View Post
    Check the forums....this has been mentioned, discussed, contemplated, and beaten to a bloody pulp using trophy tuna over the years.
    Exactly, every time this happens nobody follows up or files a complaint. I am still at a loss to why cuffs were needed. It sure sets back things years that is for sure.

As Phil mentioned Port will never allow a watch or official IDs. Not sure what that would accomplish. Airport watch is just a ruse for access anyway.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Cops again...good ones this time

Guess what?
    Today I took a day off from my work, about 9:30 I was @ Bayswaters(should I get scarred?)...later arrivals changed to 31R and I went to Costco Parking lot...later came another aircraft spotter, but he left early...

Later, with a camera taking photos, suddenly I do hear: "Hello" and I see Nassau PD car next to me...
    Well, this time was a short- few minutes chat with these 2 nice cops, they asked my ID, scanned in a minute on their computer, gave my ID back to me and told me: "Have A nice Day"...and they drove off...

After "Hello", they told me, that they got a call from someone... their - cops words(with a smile) to me: "You made someone very nervous"...

It was totally different experience today than on saturday...I told cops today that I was saturday arrested @ Bayswater, they were very surprised...they couldn't believe...And these Nassau cops very well aware about our hobby - they did tell me that they do know very well about...

NCPD officers are alot friendlier there, many know who we are. At many points they do get calls about us taking pictures from Costco, but remember that when you shoot from Costcos you are on their property and if u were asked to leave then it's a must. Best bet, at least purchase something from there to keep things on the good side. We dont ususally always be asked to leave but some might say you must. But im glad things got better
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

Quote Originally Posted by Delta777LR View Post
    NCPD officers are alot friendlier there, many know who we are. At many points they do get calls about us taking pictures from Costco, but remember that when you shoot from Costcos you are on their property and if u were asked to leave then it's a must. Best bet, at least purchase something from there to keep things on the good side. We dont ususally always be asked to leave but some might say you must. But im glad things got better
    Sergio,

I got very surprised that they did say nothing about what property I was, they just gave me my license back and told: "have a nice day"...
    While on public property, they could put hand-cuffs on...

I got kinda nervous seeing cops a few days after I got arrested, a few minutes later - The whole World turned around - just like meeting best friends...

Go, figure out that...