Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PHL - Planning Nov. 23-24

PHL - Planning Nov. 23-24

Hey guys,

Since I have to use some FF miles before the end of the month, I'm considering a trip to PHL on the weekend of Nov. 23-24 (with the 1st weekend after Thanksgiving as an alternate, if the good flights are already booked).

I asked Paul from PHL Airline and he said the airport is very accessible, but I wanted to ask about what the good times to be out there are and any recommendations. There's a fair bit of CMH-PHL and PHL-CMH flights throughout the day, so hopefully I won't be as restricted with the flight choices as I was for the LAX meetup.

The trip has happened. Photos start here: http://nycaviation.com/forum/threads...l=1#post495432
    Last edited by felipegcmh; 2013-11-26 at 11:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by felipegcmh View Post
    I asked Paul from PHL Airline and he said the airport is very accessible, but I wanted to ask about what the good times to be out there are and any recommendations.
    PHL is a great and very friendly place to spot. During this time of the year the sun will stay on the south side of the main runways (9/27) all day.

Here's a recent thread that has some pretty good spotting tips/locations: http://nycaviation.com/forum/threads/46295-Visiting-PHL

Will you have a car or are you going to be relying on public transportation?
    It is possible to get to these locations via public transportation but you'll have to do a fair amount of walking...

Hope this helps,
    -Chris

I'm definitely renting a car so I can move around freely.

Just out of curiosity, the focal lengths you mentioned on the other thread, are they for crop cameras or for full frame?

Thanks for the info!

I'm definitely renting a car so I can move around freely.
    Good a car is definitely the preferred choice! Even though all those locations are on the same road they can be over four miles apart.

Just out of curiosity, the focal lengths you mentioned on the other thread, are they for crop cameras or for full frame?
    They're from a crop (APS-C) sensor.

Ok, I should be good then.

This time of the year is also perfect for that head on shot with the sun inside the engines. This shot was taken a couple of week past.

Best time to hit PHL is in the morning and late afternoon when the sun is at a low angle, you'll get some incredible light on arrivals and departures this time of year.

I use a 70-300mm zoom and a 150mm-500mm zoom at PHL, you'll appreciate the wide end for the A330's/A340's and you'll be happy to have 400-500mm for some of the GA traffic(and there is some great bizjet paint to be had here). I would definitely caution you to stay away from the fence side of the road, the police here are pretty cool but there's no need to push the envelope with that.

Drop me a PM when you plan on coming down Felipe and I'll try to meet up with you, and welcome to the site

William

I might rent something (100-400L), but for now it sounds like I'll stick with the 70-200/1.4x combo.

Staying away from the fence side seems to be the common recommendation, I'll definitely stick to that.

And sure, I'll PM you, or just post here, once I know exactly when I'll be traveling, I'm aiming for a morning flight out of CMH on Saturday and a noon / early afternoon flight back on Sunday. I should be finalizing the travel plans within the next couple of days.

Thanks to all for the tips!

I'll try to come out as well... haven't done much PHL spotting and I am way overdue!

Planning is done. I'll be arriving around 8AM on the 23rd, leaving at 2 PM on the 24th, but returning the car and such around 11:30 and then heading to the airport to check in, clear security, explore the airport, etc.

Weather alternate is visiting the MAAM in Reading, but that's assuming that the weather is terrible in PHL.

Arriving on AWI3955 at 07:55. The weather doesn't look promising, but I have no choice. As it stands, if the weather looks bad, I'll head north to Reading or something like that.

If anyone wants to meet up, weather permitting, let me know and I'll PM you my phone number.

I'd also recommend the Air Mobility Command Museum at Dover AFB as an alternate location. Then again, you're better off visiting there when the weather is good since all of the good displays are outside!

Either museum seems to have good displays outside, and some inside. At least I have a couple of options to choose from, should the need arise.

Right now it looks to be mostly cloudy with occasional breaks of sun. I'll see if I can get over there for a few minutes if you end up @ PHL

Well, looks like it'll be "partly cloudy", so unless it starts raining with no intention to stop, I'll be at PHL.