Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 737 in Albany via barge

It was moved in the cover of darkness a few Sat night ago from LGA to the Port of Newark initially. It was towed from the AA hangar to the end of the 22 deck then a large crane lifted it onto the barge. Whole move was very hush hush and literally in the middle of the night.

Quote Originally Posted by LGA777 View Post
    It was moved in the cover of darkness a few Sat night ago from LGA to the Port of Newark initially. It was towed from the AA hangar to the end of the 22 deck then a large crane lifted it onto the barge. Whole move was very hush hush and literally in the middle of the night.
    And there you have it!! Thank you!!

Do you know if it was shrink wrapped at LGA or someplace else?
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Wappingers Falls, New York, United States
    I was sent this back on 10/20 by one of my Twitter followers, @CGOApps. Looks like it was wrapped in plastic that far back.
    Ben Granucci, Wappingers Falls, NY
    NYCAviation Senior Editor & Director
    On Twitter @blgranucci
    More photos on Flickr
    [email protected]

It is actually Phil's Christmas present, it just needs a big red bow.
    Gene Delaney

The shrink wrap was done at LGA prior to the move and the Sat night of the move was well planned to conicede with the LAX event so that many key NYC aviation photogs would be on the other coast just in case news got leaked out helping to avoid any photos of the move.
    Last edited by LGA777; 2013-11-11 at 08:04 PM.

The shrink wrap was done at LGA prior to the move and the Sat night of the move was well planned to conicede with the LAX event so that many key NYC aviaiton photogs would be on the other coast just in case news got leaked out helping to avoid any photos of the move.
    Hahaha now start the conspiracy theories!!!!!!!!!
    But if it IS TRUE it shows the power of this group!!!!!

I'm thinking that the "cover of darkness" was done more to avoid traffic disruption than it was to avoid photographers. I'm sure the towing/lifting operation took quite awhile and by doing it in the middle of the night they were able to avoid closing the runway during the busy time of the day (which is about any time at LGA).

I talked to a mechanic at LGA shortly after that happened and he said the fuselage skin was rippled all the way back to the air conditioning pack bays, which to me indicates that the keel beam was bent; how much, I don't know. Apparently Boeing reps were at LGA looking at the airframe and I don't know what their opinion was. (Disclaimer: I'm a pilot, not a mechanic--maybe someone from the maintenance side of the house can weigh in)

Speculation here on my part, but I'm thinking they might have (or be in the process of) fixing the airplane. The reason I say that is the fact that they have a real nose gear on the airplane. You can see the towing turn limit marks on the bottom of the airplane, indicating that they don't want to damage the nose gear. If the airplane wasn't going to fly again, I wouldn't think they would go to the expense of putting another nose gear on it just to tow it out, put it on a barge, and tow it elsewhere for scrapping. In that case I think they would have put the nose on a dolly for towing. Another clue is the shrink wrap. They obviously don't want the weather to get to the airplane. If they were just worried about the publicity, I'm sure a coat of paint would be cheaper than shrink-wrap.

That being said, is there a museum or A&P school in Albany near where they took the airplane? Another option would be for them to make cosmetic repairs to the fuselage/nosegear, remove all the re-usable equipment, and donate the rest to a museum or school.

This wouldn't be the first time a wrecked airplane has been repaired and flown: I flew with a guy several years ago who wrecked a Lockheed L-300 (C-130) on an ice flow supporting a US Navy facility. They landed and the ice was rougher than they expected and the wings got to flapping and the spar broke. The insurance company totaled the airplane and the airline bought the hulk back for pennies on the dollar. They flew parts and people up to fix it, and Gerry flew it off the ice later that year...

Quote Originally Posted by snydersnapshots View Post
    I flew with a guy several years ago who wrecked a Lockheed L-300 (C-130) on an ice flow supporting a US Navy facility. They landed and the ice was rougher than they expected and the wings got to flapping and the spar broke.
    I'm guessing it was this one? Looks pretty nasty!

http://www.c-130hercules.net/acftdb/...N.php?lpn=4209

Quote Originally Posted by snydersnapshots View Post
    This wouldn't be the first time a wrecked airplane has been repaired and flown:
    Don't forget about N471WN that ran off the runway at MDW...

Less then a year later it was flying again as N286WN...

No major airframe repair places in Albany that I'm aware of. The area that it is being stored in is normally used to stage generators (both gas turbine and wind power turbine blades) as they are coming and going by water. As the newspaper story states, it is apparently just going to sit in Albany at the port until the investigation is completed and then it will leave by the same way that it arrived

Well, Boeing can set up shop on a ramp or runway if need be no need for special facilities

Created by Airliners.net BBCode Generator

Of course, the flying out part will be interesting... I think that storage yard is long enough LOL.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Quote Originally Posted by Kiffy View Post
    I'm guessing it was this one? Looks pretty nasty!

http://www.c-130hercules.net/acftdb/...N.php?lpn=4209

Don't forget about N471WN that ran off the runway at MDW...

Less then a year later it was flying again as N286WN...
    WOW! Yep, I'd guess that's the one.

Wappingers Falls, New York, United States
    According to the Dallas Morning News, the plane has been written off.
    Ben Granucci, Wappingers Falls, NY
    NYCAviation Senior Editor & Director
    On Twitter @blgranucci
    More photos on Flickr
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by mldoc View Post
    According to the Dallas Morning News, the plane has been written off.
    Wow! That is interesting... even the LOT Bellyflopper flew again, no?
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

I was pretty sure the LOT bellyflopper never flew again, which was why the 787 delays were such a huge issue for LOT