Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 737 in Albany via barge

737 in Albany via barge

I noticed this at the port of Albany on the Hudson River today. It came by barge and then was lifted ashore with a crane.

[IMG][/IMG]

Anyone have ideas on where it came from or where it is going? My only guess is that it might be the WN one from the incident at LGA? Arriving in this manner indicates that it is not flight worthy yet it appears to be intact otherwise. Even has the satellite bump and winglets. Quite a surprise visitor!

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31
    The picture didn't come through, but if it's entirely wrapped in blue plastic, then yes, it's the incident aircraft from Southwest at LaGuardia. I saw a photo of it at the Port in Newark a week or so ago.

Wappingers Falls, New York, United States
    That looks an awful lot like the 737 that I was sent a picture of a couple weeks ago from somebody at LGA who was wondering what an all blue 737 was doing there. In that picture you couldn't tell that it was wrapped, it looked more like they took "Canyon Blue" paint and painted over any identifying markings. This picture looks like they've used the blue shrink wrap that is used to winterize boats.
    Ben Granucci, Wappingers Falls, NY
    NYCAviation Senior Editor & Director
    On Twitter @blgranucci
    More photos on Flickr
    [email protected]

Thanks for the replies. I assume that it will go out by rail but I imagine that it will need to be taken apart some first. And it still begs the question of its destination. Will they scrap it?

Thought it was going to be used as the Blue Mans Group private plane!!

Tat is odd... why Albany of all places? And it looks fine otherwise...
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Please keep us updated. Hopefully I can make it down there for a quick shot before it leaves for wherever. Further movements would probably make for interesting spotting...
    Shoot first, ask questions later.
    dfalk.smugmug.com

There were no news articles in the local media that I saw, so at this point all I can do is guess. Scrapping it seems unlikely since there would be plenty of choices other than Albany to do that. Perhaps heading to RME? Once again, mode of transport remains a big question. I can see the top of the tail out my window at work. It's still there as of this morning.

Doubt it is headed for scrapping, they would have done it at LGA, if you look closely the nose gear has been repaired as some of the sheet metal behind where the E/E bay is. RME might be a possibility, Premiere Aviation in Rome does mods and heavy mtc

At first I doubted it was the WN incident aircraft because of how intact the gear was and I assumed that the bird from that incident would have received structural damage and been a write-off considering the nose slammed down on the ground as hard as it did.

They wouldn't spend the money to repair that much if they weren't going to put it into service. Anyone know if Southwest owned or leased that bird?
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Well, according to the local paper, it is indeed the WN jet from LGA. Apparently just going to be stored here until the investigation concludes. Seems like a lot of trouble and an odd location for that.

http://tablet.olivesoftware.com/Olive/Tablet/AlbanyTimesUnion/SharedArticle.aspx?href=HATU%2F2013%2F11%2F09&id=P c02205

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. View Post
    Anyone know if Southwest owned or leased that bird?
    SWA owned it.

Here's the article SmAlbany referred to:

http://www.timesunion.com/default/ar...ew-4969070.php
    Shoot first, ask questions later.
    dfalk.smugmug.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
    The picture didn't come through, but if it's entirely wrapped in blue plastic, then yes, it's the incident aircraft from Southwest at LaGuardia. I saw a photo of it at the Port in Newark a week or so ago.
    Surprised there were no other sightings by our intrepid reporters unless they moved it in the wee hours!! A shrink wrapped plane leaving LGA, down the East River across the Harbor to the Port of Newark then north up the Hudson River isnt something someone sees every day.

Excellent point. Eve non-aviation guys would have picked up on that and uploaded it somewhere.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].