Thread: Michigan Hockey 2013 Running Thread

Michigan Hockey 2013 Running Thread

In addition to the fall football outings, I make it a point to be present at every one of Michigan's home hockey games to be part of the best student section on campus. From the constant chirping of the officials (which I don't take part in unless they earn it... which is more often than you'd think), opponents with "interesting" names or backstories (Waterloo's Bonar is the favorite so far this year), to the opposing sieve, or the parents of the visitors, we never stop.

The Children of Yost are one of the biggest reasons that Michigan's Yost Ice Arena is one of the toughest arenas in the country to play in. This is our view of the games as seen through the lens on the D7100.

Lighting the lamp to open up scoring in the 3-1 win over BC.

Besides the band, our entertainment between periods consists mainly of trying to get the little kids riding the Zamboni to throw their shoes on the ice... we succeeded

The picture of the year so far.

Thanks for looking!

Nice action shots.
    What the story behind the kids throwing their shoes off the Zamboni?

Thanks!
    To the best of my knowledge, there is no specific story behind the shoe throwing. Generally the Zambonis come on during the few minutes that the band takes a break, so we attempt to get the kids to do a bunch of corny dance moves in a sequence that culminates a shoe and/or sock being thrown on the ice. We generally can get about one shoe per weekend, but we ended up getting three in the second intermission alone during the BC game. With the exception of huge/important games or amazing goals, the shoe throw is often the loudest cheer of the night.
    Last edited by captmjk16; 2013-10-12 at 09:25 PM.

After finally getting my hands on a lens more appropriate for indoor sports shooting, I was able to put it through its paces for the first time during last weekend's games against Penn State. To say I'm a fan of my new Tamron 70-200 VC is an understatement, and though it's not ideal for airshows or spotting at most locations, I can't help but feel like it's going to quickly move its way up the image count to be the top lens in my arsenal.

Thanks for looking!