Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pan Am Worldport (Image Heavy)

Brings a tear to my to see that beautiful TransAmerica 742 parked way back there. One pic I always wanted to get, but never got around to, was to get an open shutter night shot on Kodachrome 25 ASA/ISO Color Film for Slide, night-shot of an Air Afrique DC-10-30 or a Trans America DC-10-30, parked and lit up during the night.
    Spotters have been Homeland Security before HS was a glimmer in the president's eye.

I agree. A perfect time to reminisce about the great times we "old timers" had up on that roof. It was the best spotting location because you could get to see everything. After PAA 103 Lockerbie attack, it got closed then wired-off. All great memories. Love that Braniff, the Jellybean Airline, each aircraft in a different color. What memories and thanks for taking the time to share them!

the Golden age
    The beehive hummm of the JT9D and GE CF680C2,the thunder of the JT8D-17,the rumble of the PW1830 and the high ,thin whine of the PW 545A are all music to my ears!

Not only is the content rare and lovely, the quality is superb!!
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Stunning, and it brings a tear to my eye seeing some of those old birds. Thank you so much for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by Speedbird1 View Post
    I agree. A perfect time to reminisce about the great times we "old timers" had up on that roof. It was the best spotting location because you could get to see everything. After PAA 103 Lockerbie attack, it got closed then wired-off. All great memories.
    -Clear, unlimited views of arrivals and departures on all runways (except 13L)
    -Anything heavy and unusual taxiing to or from the IAB had to pass right in front of you on the inner or outer taxiway.
    -Pan Am 747's parked nose in so close you could almost reach out and touch them.
    -Bathrooms and snacks were a mere elevator ride down into the terminal.
    -Real aircraft liveries (no Euro-white billboard schemes), on four engined jets spewing black smoke. ("I love the smell of aircraft exhaust early in the morning"
    -No CRJ's or ERJ's, the smallest jets were probably the Empire Fokkers.
    -Twin-Otters and Dash-7's sneaking in to land on Rwy 32
    -Hours of hassle free spotting, broken up with a walk from the rooftop all the way through the Pan Am Terminal to the IAB and on to the TWA terminal, visiting gates and collecting printed schedules along the way.
    -Not wanting to leave, even at sunset because you just wanted to see what was next in that long line of landing-lights heading into 31L.
    -Don't even get me started on the Concorde 31L or 13R departures!

All this for maybe a 4 or 6 dollar parking fee.

Truly a spotters "little corner of heaven"

Stunning shots Trevor!! I really love the Pan Am SP shot as well as the DL Tristar, TWA Boeing 707 and the UA DC-8! Im glad when I was a kid I had a chance to see some of those in person. I wish it was like that still today. The planes I can never get tired of seeing if there were many left is the 707, DC-8s, 727s and L-1011s
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

Got stuck in JFK for 3 days and this was my passage home leaving without me again. At the time if my memory serves me correctly this photo was taken (un hindered by the Police) from top of a car park!
    Biggest regret was those days I was more into number crunching than photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/plane_s...57623883659430