Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Newark P4 roof level - 10/5/13

Wappingers Falls, New York, United States

Newark P4 roof level - 10/5/13

I was pleasantly surprised here. A small group of us headed up there for a few shots after leaving Family day. Within 2 minutes after we arrived there, a routine security patrol drove up onto that level...and drove right past us. They did a few more sweeps up and down the aisles before disappearing without saying a word to us. In total we stayed up there for about 30-45 minutes with no problems.

Disclaimer: The experience shared here was on the day of a public event at Newark. There may or may not have been an amount of leniency offered by security to enthusiasts/photographers because of this event. Newark has historically been generally unfriendly towards spotters, and this experience should not be taken to mean that this environment has changed.
    Last edited by Landing Lights; 2013-10-08 at 12:54 PM.
    Ben Granucci, Wappingers Falls, NY
    NYCAviation Senior Editor & Director
    On Twitter @blgranucci
    More photos on Flickr
    [email protected]

that was blessed Ben!! I wish it can stay that way
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

...so in other words...nothing happened...no need to post anything.

Posts like this push some people to be brave, then they complain when something happens.
    Simply put, I'm sure security knew that it was Airport Day, and they were more lenient than they would normally be.

Heck I even took a few shots from my car to the elevator and back. There were still some families looking at the field from the garage.

Sorry Ben, but no need to post up and make a big deal out of nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by lijk604 View Post
    Sorry Ben, but no need to post up and make a big deal out of nothing.
    No intention of making a big deal about this, but I feel that good experiences should be shared as well as bad ones here. Airport/Family day may have had something to do with this, though I'm not as sure as you seem to be about that. my purpose here is simply to start a data set for this particular location. That being said, I can see your point about the brave ones, so I have edited the original post.
    On Twitter @blgranucci
    More photos on Flickr
    [email protected]

Starting a data set for this location? Thats just a disguised way of saying you encourage the visiting of that particular location. Ther is a reason that EWR doesn't regularly get discussed on the forums. Because it is a NO GO location.

All this does, as stated above is make people get ballsy and make newbies think its ok to go to EWR.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

Quote Originally Posted by steve1840 View Post
    Starting a data set for this location? Thats just a disguised way of saying you encourage the visiting of that particular location. Ther is a reason that EWR doesn't regularly get discussed on the forums. Because it is a NO GO location.

All this does, as stated above is make people get ballsy and make newbies think its ok to go to EWR.
    I'm of the opinion that from on airport property and in appropriate locations, EWR may not be a no go any more given the recent changes to PANYNJ rules. The only way to find out is to actually go there and spot and hope for the best and to report back either way. THAT is the reason for starting the data set. This is not a location that will see a ton of use given its cost on a normal day, however it may be viable for those special visitors that we don't see very often. I see no reason to hide information good or bad from anybody in this community whether they've been spotting for 10 minutes or 10 years. I had a good experience here on this particular date and time, however it is no guarantee that anybody else ever will in the future.
    On Twitter @blgranucci
    More photos on Flickr
    [email protected]

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    Does the data set have anything to do with the busses at LGA?
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by mldoc View Post
    This is not a location that will see a ton of use given its cost on a normal day, however it may be viable for those special visitors that we don't see very often. I see no reason to hide information good or bad from anybody in this community whether they've been spotting for 10 minutes or 10 years. I had a good experience here on this particular date and time, however it is no guarantee that anybody else ever will in the future.
    Ther have been many lengthy discussions about this topic on the forums. If a special visitor comes in people use the dash and grab method or pop up right at the time they need to to get the visitor. Going to EWR has never been encouraged and call it what YOU want, saying that this may be viable for special visitors is still for all intents and purposes encouraging words. Same with stating that on that particular date and time you had a good experience. If someone like a certain (younger) member that posted about being hell bent on spotting at EWR in the past were to see this, they would be overly excited that EWR is a spotter friendly airport now, and go, and likely get in trouble. And say all you want that you put a disclaimer on here, but that person repeatedly didn't head words of people who had been spotting much much longer than him, so why would they read a disclaimer?
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

Sorry but there is NO point to this post. I get you are trying to share your experience, but again, all this is going to do is open up another HUGE can of worms about spotting at EWR and as Steve stated above, there is a reason why NO ONE talks about anything that has to do with EWR on the forums and here you are talking about spotting on the property on top of it all. Smart! Lets give new ideas to people about a place everyone stays away from and let it generate from a post that started on NYCA! Real nice ...
    Kaz T

My Photos:

JetPhotos
    KT Images NY

EWR is taboo, I don't have any desire to go there.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

EWR in and of itself is a suicide spot. I know one person who shall not be named, who made front page news and had a lengthy court battle as a result of spotting there.
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    I said when people started shooting from the parking garages at JFK that this would happen. I am not saying you should not try and shoot from them but there are dos and don'ts. One don't is never post about them in a public forum. I was never one to subscribe to the "Never go to EWR" but this post does not help the situation. One thing I never understood is why people in this hobby feel compelled to always run home and start pounding a keyboard about things like this.

Some things are better handled via email and PM.

As for the EWR thing I don't we should not try to shoot there. Just use some common sense about it. Posting about it in a public forum does not accomplish this.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by steve1840 View Post
    And say all you want that you put a disclaimer on here, but that person repeatedly didn't head words of people who had been spotting much much longer than him, so why would they read a disclaimer?
    That individual obviously lacked the maturity and decision making skills needed to make informed choices. Nothing anybody here said was going to sway them one way or the other. Their mind was made up before they arrived here.

I stand by everything I have said thus far. Plain and simple, the rules have changed at all of the Port Authority airports, and to me, that means that it is worthwhile to see just how they plan to react to these changes. If we refuse to spot at a particular airport due to past experiences from before the rules changed, then the work that was put in to getting those changes made by Phil and others is for naught. Spot there or don't spot there, it is your choice, however this is NYCAviation and to treat one of the major NYC airports as a place that is too taboo to even discuss our experiences with is irresponsible and does nothing to encourage or discourage casual visitors who come here seeking guidance from going there.

Now for those who think that this whole thread is pointless, I present the following from the Letter to Public Readers that is stickied to the top of this forum:
    This is the place for all of us to share our experiences with local law enforcement while enjoying the hobby of aviation enthusiasm. Whether the experience posted here are positive or negative, it is important for us to discuss these occurences in order to promote awareness to both sides of the encounters and make both our hobby and enforcing the law an easier process for everyone involved.

We also do our best to ensure honesty and accuracy in these posts, regardless of how brutal that truth might be.
    I had a positive experience here, at an airport that is not known for positive experiences. It does not mean that others will have the same experience that I had. It also doesn't mean that we should be planning the EWR planespotting meetup for next October with 100 planespotters from around the country. But to say that sharing a positive experience is a bad thing simply because of where it happened is just plain foolish.
    On Twitter @blgranucci
    More photos on Flickr
    [email protected]

The rules have NOT changed. And that's because these theoretical rules NEVER existed publicly. The issue is this new flock we have here seem to feel entitlement to do spot however and wherever they see fit without again using consequential thinking in regards. This is not a direction we as a group should be taking.

Of course the rules have changed. Just because they have chosen not to make them public for whatever reason does not change the fact that they know what the rules are now and that we know what the rules are now. These are rules that were just confirmed to me last week by somebody inside of the Port Authority. They may not be publishing them, but they sure aren't hiding them either.

And I would tread very carefully with your generalizations regarding the "new flock". Grouping everybody who hasn't been planespotting for several years together and then bashing that group is definitely not the direction that this group should ever be taking. I joined this community because of how accepting it was towards those looking to enter the hobby. Some here seem to have lost that level of acceptance lately. And that's a damn shame.
    On Twitter @blgranucci
    More photos on Flickr
    [email protected]