Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 46 to 58 of 58

Thread: Newark P4 roof level - 10/5/13

  1. #46
    Senior Member NIKV69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Posts
    4,258
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil D
    If this is the wild west, I'd hate to see your description of what Anet, JP, FlyerTalk or 90% of other aviation forums are like. Not that we are perfect, of course
    JP and Flyertalk forums are really not much to speak of. As much as people love to malign anet they do a great job of moderating considering the traffic they get. They delete low quality and flambait stuff rather quickly and things don't degenerate and go off topic as they do here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil D
    There are areas of the site that took a beating since Matt died, of which some are still trying to recover. To be honest, forum moderation was one area that Matt kept away from because he had so much other stuff on his plate. The forums have been my realm since day one.
    Bringing Matt into this discussion was really unfair. His tragic death and absence have nothing to do with this. The forums were the same as they were then as they are now. It's a mindset of being passive with low quality, off topic and flamebait stuff. Matt had nothing to do with that. Andy should have not done this.

    I can also only moderate if someone violates a rule (double topics, personal attacks, and all the other things we have outlined in our rules). I can't go nuts on a member because someone doesn't like another person, and not because someone doesn't like a topic. I can't delete a thread because people think some EWR spots shouldn't be talked about. There is no clear and direct security issue.
    You can delete low quality posts. Not to mention names but we know of some that post threads that have been discussed to death, or can be answered with a simple search constantly. It's those threads that degenerate quick. As for posting about spotting locations I disagree. Any parking garage or lot (private property) is sensitive and EWR is super sensitive. Though I applaud the fact someone was able to shoot at EWR without hassle running home to post about it is not a smart move. All we need is someone we don't know to go there and do whatever and it could be an issue. It's still an uphill climb to be able to shoot in the NY metro area after 9/11. Things have gotten much better but we should still be smart.

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil D
    Think Ben should not post about EWR spots? Then say so nicely or sit down to talk about your concerns. I'm sure there is a compromise. Ben's one of the nicest people around...if he's not friendly or approachable enough...then who is?

    Don't like Jason? Then go have a man to man with him. If by chance he doesn't respond as you'd like, then you can block him here and ignore him in person and you won't have that problem anymore. I am sure he would be equally relieved. Or maybe you two would find there was a misunderstanding and that you can all play nice. Crazier things have happened.
    I don't know either person but my posts in this thread have been respectful toward everyone.

    contributing absolutely zilch.
    I have no desire to be part of this site officially which you know already Phil. It's nothing personal I just don't need to be part of a small website to spot in the NY area. All I ask is that the ones that do act responsibly so we don't have another situation like the JFK cargo area. This forum is public domain and I post how I see it. You can stop throwing the past in my face, I have rarely posted here in ions and if you want to ban me go right ahead. Part of the reason for these situations here is certain people on this site take themselves way too seriously.

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil D
    If we have personal beefs, let's meet up and talk about it. If you don't want to, then I'll drink by myself at the bar on the 29th.
    I don't have personal beefs with anyone here. We all have our circles and certain friends in the hobby. If someone has beef with me I could really care less. It is what it is, only thing I have asked to is be responsible because spotting in NY is for everyone. Not just people affiliated with this site.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

  2. #47
    Senior Member Gerard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    4,851
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. View Post
    . For those whose experiences have been affected by Speedbird1's posts, my apologies. I can definitely take that the blame on that one.
    Wow, if someones experiences have been effected by Speedbird1s posts then they have more problems that we have time to discuss on this board!!
    And what exactly is considered a"low quality" thread/post? Because one or two people dont like it? Hey, pearls of wisdom sure aint dropping out of everyones mouth here when they post but they still have the right to
    voice their opinion or start a topic unless it violates the rules of the board!! I've read many that dont interest me but I sure dont need to censor them or say it should be deleted because I dont like it. I just move on!!
    The beauty of this board is that it gives people a voice they might not necessarily have anywhere else!!
    And complaining about "Off Topic" posts? Last I saw there is an "Off Topic" forum on this site!!
    In the immortal words of the late Rodney King "Cant we all just get along"?

  3. #48
    Senior Member megatop412's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Philadelphia(south Jersey, actually)
    Posts
    3,278
    I don't get it. I just don't get it- Nick you have complained throughout this thread about the site, how it is run, other members on it- you seem to care very much about a site you claim you don't want anything to do with. I've been here as long as you have and you have MORE posts than I do(I had to step out to deal with personal issues for a couple years), so you have in fact been an active member here. Do you or do you not want to step up and actually HELP the site succeed, or do you just want to be someone who's always there to point out what you don't like? You do more damage being as contentious as you are than Speedbird has been with his threads! I should hope he doesn't read this one, because there's no reason someone with a passion for aviation and ZERO ill-will should be made to feel like a fool. Gee, let's pick on the older guy interacting with the internet, that's never been done before(Phil I'm glad you found some kind of potential resolution for him to interact with the site). That crap needs to be left at the door to high school graduation.

    It isn't like The Fugitive Part II is going to begin with at EWR. We should be used to this by now and ready to just deal with it. There won't be a massive push all of a sudden by the cops to get us to stop, they don't even have the money to successfully police the city against gangs of bikers on the west side highway. If Phil feels that someone's post risks exposing something truly sensitive, I have every faith he will delete it, and I believe it because of how he handled a previous member for doing this.

    In the end(and here comes my epic nihilistic rant), nothing really matters. Bills, marriage, school, workouts, jobs, illness, fights, sex, food, awards, kids, new lenses, it don't matter, none of it does. We run around like a bunch of rats, looking for pieces of cheese, only to eventually succumb to nothingness. SO MAKE IT COUNT for Pete's sake and TRY to devote as little time as possible to this foolish bickering. The clock is ticking, so spend time with your gal, drink a good scotch, play with your kids, play your music loud(at the right times), and go be with airplanes. I myself plan to have one of you roll me into Jamaica Bay after I take my last breath, hopefully I live long enough to see what the damn 797 will look like

  4. #49
    Senior Member Jared Blech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Long Island, Ohio
    Posts
    603
    Quote Originally Posted by megatop412 View Post
    I don't get it. I just don't get it- Nick you have complained throughout this thread about the site, how it is run, other members on it- you seem to care very much about a site you claim you don't want anything to do with. I've been here as long as you have and you have MORE posts than I do(I had to step out to deal with personal issues for a couple years), so you have in fact been an active member here. Do you or do you not want to step up and actually HELP the site succeed, or do you just want to be someone who's always there to point out what you don't like? You do more damage being as contentious as you are than Speedbird has been with his threads! I should hope he doesn't read this one, because there's no reason someone with a passion for aviation and ZERO ill-will should be made to feel like a fool. Gee, let's pick on the older guy interacting with the internet, that's never been done before(Phil I'm glad you found some kind of potential resolution for him to interact with the site). That crap needs to be left at the door to high school graduation.

    It isn't like The Fugitive Part II is going to begin with at EWR. We should be used to this by now and ready to just deal with it. There won't be a massive push all of a sudden by the cops to get us to stop, they don't even have the money to successfully police the city against gangs of bikers on the west side highway. If Phil feels that someone's post risks exposing something truly sensitive, I have every faith he will delete it, and I believe it because of how he handled a previous member for doing this.

    In the end(and here comes my epic nihilistic rant), nothing really matters. Bills, marriage, school, workouts, jobs, illness, fights, sex, food, awards, kids, new lenses, it don't matter, none of it does. We run around like a bunch of rats, looking for pieces of cheese, only to eventually succumb to nothingness. SO MAKE IT COUNT for Pete's sake and TRY to devote as little time as possible to this foolish bickering. The clock is ticking, so spend time with your gal, drink a good scotch, play with your kids, play your music loud(at the right times), and go be with airplanes. I myself plan to have one of you roll me into Jamaica Bay after I take my last breath, hopefully I live long enough to see what the damn 797 will look like
    Well said william. I think that wraps it up. What could anybody possibly say to top that. Keep calm and planespot.
    Probably the youngest spotter ever to walk up the face of the mounds.
    Jared B. -Boces Aviation Ops Student, Jericho NY

  5. #50
    Senior Member Delta777LR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Poughkeepsie, New York, United States
    Posts
    2,844
    Let me be simple, reading all of this whole thing just got me shocked. I see alot of rights and wrongs here but it's all w/e. Yes the true thing is that not all of us will get along, some will some wont. In my experience I love all of us here, i dont dislike anyone here at all, and without the help from Kenny and Nick and a few older spotters in the past, I would not have gotten as good with my photography as I am now. And I was even happy to help a few new comers out myself with editing and spotting. I do try to get along with everyone here and like Jared said before this is family of spotters, we spot together, we hang out drink, eat etc. I mean i do see a few points about EWR, anyone can ask Mike Scuderi, Roman, Mark Hsuing about the 2010 incident when we had our SD cards confiscated by PAPD, However Phil busted his @ss getting our cards back and things were solved and still I am very thankful for that. EWR is not the best to shoot at but when it comes to that, you really gotta use your head. some of us has been there.. Instead of continuing to debate more and more on this thread lets just drop it and just continue to spot and hope for the good to come in the future.
    Last edited by Delta777LR; 10-11-2013 at 01:45 AM.
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

    Sergio Cardona

    http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

  6. #51
    Senior Member Speedbird1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    1,514
    I must add my 2 cents. This exact same thing happened about a decade ago on the JFKTower.com site. So many posters got banned (not myself) for insulting others that the moderator, Dave, finally changed the rules. He started charging all members to post. After that, a big change was seen. Offending members just disappeared. I would hate for members to be charged, but maybe that would end harrassment. Don't jump on me for this suggestion; I am just relating what Dave did when posters kept insulting each other.

  7. #52
    Senior Member Derf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Miller Place N.Y.
    Posts
    4,534
    and that is what tanked JFK TOWER! I was a member but would not pay fees, nor will I for Anet or any other site. I feel my contribution is positive enough and if I am not wanted, I will not pay for a site.
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

  8. #53
    Senior Member Speedbird1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    1,514
    This thread is about EWR spotting. As an old-timer and to change the subject, I once was allowed on the tarmac of EWR. I was then obsessed with the "People Express" B744. After pestering the ticket agent, she finally had a guy escort me to the aircraft, which was an ex-Alitalia, and take photos all around and under the aircraft. This must have been in the 80's. I think the aircraft flew out of Gatwick. And please guys, all we have is each other; families and co-workers cannot understand why we spend our time spotting aircraft. Let's stop hurting others' feelings; if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing. I myself have put several members in my ignore list as they think the sun rises and sets around them. Those who feel my posts are nonsense, please do the same, I will not care. We are all in the same boat. Finally, maybe the thread where we post publicly our encounters with law enforcement should be eliminated as it seems to cause so much strife. Let's return this site to the best on the Internet !

  9. #54
    Administrator PhilDernerJr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    12,470
    Though we have no plans to do so on the forums, NYCA will never prevent people from enjoying this site because they don't have or don't want to pay money.

    We may end up with some pay features, but there will be ways for users to be able to get those features without giving money.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

  10. #55
    Moderator mirrodie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    Posts
    5,746
    As a former mod on Anet who banned at least one individual here who I would claim a friend, (while vacationing in Perth, Australia, mind you), I'll call BS. Moderating NYCA, there is a COMPLETELY different culture here.

    On Anet, from the inside, we'd log in and cull deletions that were suggested by users, worldwide. Here, suggestions for deletion get emailed to us. But they are few and far between. Whats more, we are a tighter knit community and as such, I feel that in person, we show a restrained persona, whereas in front of screens, a certain kind of guttural primate lashing comes through.

    having been on both sides of the fence, I would respectfully disagree. On Anet, some people push the envelope and then feign cultural misunderstanding. Here, I feel y'all post to see what you can get away with, knowing that within 6 months, [b]you'll likely see someone you called out 6 months ago and play nice[b/].....

    Yeah, I said it....

    So be cool. Matt is testament to the fact that life is short. I truly feel that as long as we keep it real, we're always above over sites.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

    http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

  11. #56
    Senior Member Idlewild's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    386
    I'm curious, Speedbird1, were you a regular spotter at JFK (the rooftop) back in the early '80s? Have I already asked you this question?
    Spotters have been Homeland Security before HS was a glimmer in the president's eye.

  12. #57
    Senior Member NIKV69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Posts
    4,258
    Quote Originally Posted by mirrodie
    Whats more, we are a tighter knit community and as such, I feel that in person, we show a restrained persona, whereas in front of screens, a certain kind of guttural primate lashing comes through.
    That is true of any message board.

    Quote Originally Posted by mirrodie
    having been on both sides of the fence, I would respectfully disagree. On Anet, some people push the envelope and then feign cultural misunderstanding. Here, I feel y'all post to see what you can get away with, knowing that within 6 months, [b]you'll likely see someone you called out 6 months ago and play nice[b/]..
    Well that is just decorum. As for this post I think the users who took issue with the post had a valid point. There was no police encounter and the spot at that airport is something to be careful with. From there it went south. Standard stuff for threads of this nature for a number of reasons.

    I also can't for the life of me understand how you call me a friend yet use every thread like this to brag how you banned me. It's ok, maybe you can also tell us how anet fired you from being a mod? Tit for tat is fair play.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

  13. #58
    Administrator PhilDernerJr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    12,470
    Since this topic has gone so off topic, with no useful conversation taking place anymore, I am going to lock it up.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •