Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cablevision Copters Getting Heat From Neighbors

Cablevision Copters Getting Heat From Neighbors

Appparently a citizen of Syosset isnt feeling that Cablevision is "Flying Neighborly" when they land there corporate Sikorsky S-76s at the Woodbury (NY75) pad!!
    http://plainview.patch.com/groups/po...zz-in-woodbury

I live in muttontown, are those the ones with the blue bottoms? They're so annoying, if those are the ones referenced. They fly super low and my whole house shakes!
    Probably the youngest spotter ever to walk up the face of the mounds.
    Jared B. -Boces Aviation Ops Student, Jericho NY

they have green bottoms
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Maybe I've just mistakenly thought they were blue...who knows? Another question, where is the pad exactly? Is it near the Cablevision building itself?

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Blech View Post
    I live in muttontown, are those the ones with the blue bottoms? They're so annoying, if those are the ones referenced. They fly super low and my whole house shakes!
    Mmmmm, blue bottoms? Could be Newscopter12 working on a story or another ENG copter. The corporate copters of Cablevision dont fly super low, they actually conduct themselves very professionaly and try to
    "Fly Neighborly" whenever possible. Interesting that this pad has been open for decades but only now is someone complaining!! And not to be insensitive but throwing in his "2 year old child with medical issues" in
    his complaint seems very self-serving.
    The next time you see one of these "super low" copters take a picture so I can ID it for you!!
    The pad is by the Cablevision building in Woodbury just east of Rt 135. They also have a pad at their main HQ in Bethpage. I believe the are only open M-Fri 7AM to 7PM.
    He also says that the former Grumman airfield in Bethpage is still operational. Well if you count the hangar NCPD Air Bureau has I guess you can say that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    He also says that the former Grumman airfield in Bethpage is still operational. Well if you count the hangar NCPD Air Bureau has I guess you can say that.
    LOL! Operational? Airfield? It looks like a bunch of sound studios and corporate offices if you ask me... The only flying being done there besides NCPD is Spiderman flying through the mock-up set of Times Square for the new movie, but I'm not an expert. Also I'm going to have to agree with you on the medical issue, don't want to be insensitive but like you said, what does that have ANYTHING to do with these helicopters flying over. He seems to be the only one complaining...

I actually worked in Cablevision's hanger 5 last year. They have 3 S76's N381CV N301CV and N401CV Mr. Dolan has his "personal" EC120 and also chopper 12 N12NN is based there as well. The s76's usually land at Bethpage but, some days I think they'll stop at Woodbury at the end of the day. The most common chopper at Woodbury is most likely chopper 12. Cablevision pays to not have their choppers or jets visible on tracking sites, so Mr. Catapano can't possibly track the flight paths (unless he has some serious equipment. And lastly All Choppers return to the hanger before civil twilight every night (although under rare circumstances chopper 12 will fly at night to cover a major story). It sounds like this man is exaggerating a little bit. Like all other people who complain about aviation.
    Last edited by sdspinelli2; 2013-09-19 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sdspinelli2 View Post
    . And lastly All Choppers return to the hanger before civil twilight every night (although under rare circumstances chopper 12 will fly at night to cover a major story).
    Actually I must disagree with this point!! Living not far from FRG (20 minutes to the north) I have seen or heard (scanner) the S76s flying well into the evening, Saturday and Sunday also!! Sometimes right over my house (no complaints there) BUT....they will not land at Bethpage or Woodbury only Republic!! I believe the complainants tracking is only by sight or sound!! And the Sikorskys and Chopper 12 both land at Woodbury!! I actually found the pad last week doing a little exploring when I saw one land. But I aint snitching where it is, LOL!!!

But I aint snitching where it is, LOL!!!
    Or theres google earth. lol

They take off over our heads where I work (Grumman) several times a day. You can almost touch them.

I've seen Chopper 12 land several times at the Woodbury facility. My wife has a friend that operates the camera, at least he used to. He worked a pretty basic M-F gig but there was an occasion where he would get called in for big events. They also take the regular news crew (i.e. Erin Colton, etc) up in Chopper 12, departing from the Woodbury pad. It's pretty easy to spot from 135, just look for the big Sat dishes. It's right beside them. I had a cool shot of Chopper 12 landing last year that I can't seem to locate right now but if I'm in the area tomorrow, I'll see if I can grab one.
    EVERYONE IS THERE TO SEE THE SHERPA!

Actually I must disagree with this point!! Living not far from FRG (20 minutes to the north) I have seen or heard (scanner) the S76s flying well into the evening, Saturday and Sunday also!! Sometimes right over my house (no complaints there) BUT....they will not land at Bethpage or Woodbury only Republic!! I believe the complainants tracking is only by sight or sound!! And the Sikorskys and Chopper 12 both land at Woodbury!! I actually found the pad last week doing a little exploring when I saw one land. But I aint snitching where it is, LOL!!!
    Keep in mind that there are other Sikorsky operators at FRG, as well as a based Agusta 139 which, in my opinion, is actually louder on approach.

Quote Originally Posted by lijk604 View Post
    Keep in mind that there are other Sikorsky operators at FRG, as well as a based Agusta 139 which, in my opinion, is actually louder on approach.
    Love the 139! Great looking ship (DQ)!! NJ and Maryland State PD now use them. And yes I know there are two (at least, Talon, XX)) other S76s at FRG but knowing the N #s of the CV ships its pretty easy to ID them when listening in on my scanner!!
    Last edited by Gerard; 2013-09-26 at 07:18 PM.

. And yes I know there are two (at least, Talon, XX)) other S76s at FRG!
    Actually was thinking (do that sometimes ) and remembered that Computer Assoiciates used to have an S-76. Do they even have a Flight Dept anymore?

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    That old guy has a two-year-old?,..??? Seriously, are we sure he's not complaining about his two-year-old grandchild????
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187